Cat suddenly started drooling A LOT, with no other symptoms

fluffyrexxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are worried about our baby Fluff. Due to money we cannot get her to the 24-hour vet but plan to take her in the morning. Would appreciate any insight, advice, etc. in the meantime.
  • Species: Cat
  • Sex/Neuter status: female, spayed
  • Breed: unknown (looks like a ragdoll)
  • Body weight: 10 lbs
  • History: Mother had epilepsy. Her parents were siblings.
  • Clinical signs: Sudden onset excessive drooling
  • Duration: ~5 hours
  • Your general location: Canada

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffyrexxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response. She acts normal. She's grooming a bit more than usual, but it may be because she is wet from the drool...in the past when she's gotten wet for other reasons, she grooms the area. She's been purring when being petted and held. Enjoyed being brushed.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet in the morning and see if they can take a look at her, just to be safe.
One of our cats will flood the room with drool when she's being pet, held, or brushed out. Some cats drool when they're very happy, but sometimes it can be something else, like a bad tooth.
Please give us an update tomorrow on how she's doing, and what the vet says :wave3:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drooling was the first sign of mouth cancer in my last cat. But it could be less serious dental issues too. The point is it can range from benign (happy drools) to malignant (mouth cancer) and a whole range in between. Definitely take her as soon as you can.

fluffyrexxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, vet tomorrow is the plan. For now, it seems she's stopped drooling. She ate and drank at dinner like normal.
My parents have a cat like that. She loooooves affection and she always drools like crazy when she's getting it. But, Fluff has never done this before for the 6 years my fiance has known her.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cat was 19 ish years old and she suddenly started drooling . She stopped eating but only drank. According to the vet she had kidney failure and was suffering and was put down 4 days after this drooling started.

The vets initial diagnosis was a mouth infection or a tooth infection. Since your cat is young it could be a bad tooth, a mouth infection or worst case scenario could be poisoning of some sort by detergent, flowers or plants around or in the house like lillys or insecticide. I think its best to get her to the vet when you can.

If she is doing better have a look around the house incase a chemical , detergent or anything spilt on the ground or near tables furniture , peeling paint that she may be eating that you are not aware of etc. But still take her to the vet so they can test her blood for any toxin and check her mouth and teeth.

fluffyrexxy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, she's still doing it off and on but seems to be slowly getting better.

Vet found a small laceration in the mouth that he said could cause it, but it didn't look inflamed, so probably not. Gave her a shot to help digestion in case she did eat something. Felt her stomach and didn't feel anything off though. Also got a paste for her mouth to use for a few days.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she's still doing it off and on but seems to be slowly getting better.

Vet found a small laceration in the mouth that he said could cause it, but it didn't look inflamed, so probably not. Gave her a shot to help digestion in case she did eat something. Felt her stomach and didn't feel anything off though. Also got a paste for her mouth to use for a few days.
Since the drooling has slowed, the laceration may have been there for awhile and has since healed up a little before the vet saw it. Mouths heal incredibly fast, so this is good if that's what caused it.
I could tell you stories of dental work done that left me a drooling mess for a day or two. I swore next time I went to the dentist I was going to buy a raft first :lol:

tdiving

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are worried about our baby Fluff. Due to money we cannot get her to the 24-hour vet but plan to take her in the morning. Would appreciate any insight, advice, etc. in the meantime.
  • Species: Cat
  • Sex/Neuter status: female, spayed
  • Breed: unknown (looks like a ragdoll)
  • Body weight: 10 lbs
  • History: Mother had epilepsy. Her parents were siblings.
  • Clinical signs: Sudden onset excessive drooling
  • Duration: ~5 hours
  • Your general location: Canada
Check stomatitis