Cat suddenly scared of a room?

crazycatlady2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We left our cat, Mongo, for the weekend and when we came back we found that he had knocked over both a lamp and one of his cat trees. We joked that he had thrown a little kitty party for his birthday, which had been that Friday. But, later that night we noticed that he was scared of weird things, like flip flops and a measuring tape. He would back away from them, and swat his paw at them. I thought this was funny at first, but it seemed to get worse by Monday. He was completely avoiding both bedrooms in our apartment.

He's fine around the other parts of the house, running around, eatting, playing, etc. He did use the dining room as a bathroom, but I attributed that to his litterbox being in one of the "bad" rooms. We moved the box to a "good" room and he has been fine since (i.e. I don't think it's a UTI).

Last night I caught him sitting on my nightstand, in the dark, as if he was waiting for something bad to happen - it's like he sees a ghost or something. I keep trying to reassure him everything is ok, I feel like I'm telling my child there are no monsters under the bed.

Anyhow, has anyone had this happen with their cat? I'm not sure if this is some form of seperation anxiety - I doubt someone broke into my apartment, knocked some stuff over, tormented the cat, and left w/o stealing anything, but that would be a logical explanation for what's happening. My vet wants to put him on anti-anxiety pills, but it's only been 4 days and he's been improving, so I want to try some behavior mods first and also feliway.

Any suggestions or insight are much appreciated, and sorry this is so long

nerelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like seperation anxiety to me. My cat acted very similar when I went away for a week and a half. Now he's back to his normal, active self.

kittylove1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This has happened to my cat as well and we didn't even go anywhere! He's all of the sudden scared to death of the livingroom. I've posted something on here about it but I can't remember which post it was. Anyway, I got the feliway and it has helped - but it's a real slow process for him. He's coming around but it'll be two weeks this Sunday since it first started so I'm just keeping eye on him and giving him his "space"...my doctor said to just let him be and he'll work it out on his own terms. I also had a reading with a pet communicator, but unless you're into that sort of thing I'm afraid everyone would think I was a bit weird if I told you all about that!

Karen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatlady2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittylove1 - actually I'd be interested to hear about the pet communicator, I've never heard of that before.

It's nice to hear my poor kitty isn't alone - I couldn't find anything on this subject online anywhere, and I didn't want to put this normally calm, happy cat on psychotropic drugs.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess is that his behavior is linked with the lamp and the cat tree falling over. They probably fell over while he was playing under or on them, and that gives cats a big scare. I've often seen cats be skittish for a while after that kind of accident... they're afraid something else will fall or collapse on them. It just takes a while for them to feel comfortable and safe again.

tabatha15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a two year old short hair tabby and the same thing happened to her last night. She was in the room there were people outside talking once she heard them she was alert and something scared her she ran out of the room into the other bedroom and out into the living room. My sister tried to bring her back into the room and she urinated on her. She went into the room slowly and stayed there for a while im guessing to see if anything else happened. Shes ok in the other rooms minus a little jumping and swatting at things. I dont know what happen to her and im worried she has never acted like this before