Cat Suddenly Leaking While Sleeping Also Stops Eating To Use Litter Box.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I’m new here and I’m hoping some of the community can offer advice. My 15 year old cat has recently started leaking while sleeping, it’s happened about once a week (started a month ago)and is usually a very small amount. She’s also started using the litter box immediately after eating, sometimes even stopping while eating, using the litter box and comes back to eat, which I’m not completely sure if that’s her normal behavior as I’ve been trying to pay more attention to her litter habits since the leaking started. I’ve been to two vets. The first vet did bloodwork and did not take a urine sample even with my insistence. Turns out she’s in stage 2 of crf and prescribed her proin, which I was a bit afraid to give her. Also prescribed a renal diet. This vet also unfortunately made it sound like she had days to live which was devastating to say the least. I took her to a new vet who took a urine sample and sent a culture off. Turns out she did have a small amount of bacteria and blood in her urine in the initial draw. The urine culture sent off showed no bacteria. She took clavamox for 7 days, and while I haven’t seen any leaking since starting it, I’m still seeing the frequent litter visits. I’m wondering if something else is going on? Has anyone else experienced this? Or could the leakage and frequent urination really be her kidneys?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi So sorry for your sweetie's problems. I did find this article on proin, just in case it might help you any. It is supposed to help address urinary incontinence, so that doesn't seem like a stretch to try the med; but, you can look at all the information about it and see what you think.
Proin - Pet, Dog and Cat Medication and Prescription List | petMD

It sounds as if she - like so many senior human beings - may be experiencing the need to go more often. What did the second vet say about CRF?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The second vet stated that she was in the beginning stages of crf. I asked her about the proin the previous vet recommended and she said she typically doesn’t prescribe it because it can damage the heart if they’re is an undiagnosed heart condition, but them stated I could try it. I’m on the fence about it and might try it if she continues to leak more. I don’t see much information about cat owners using it with success, just mostly for dogs.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I saw that in the article about heart issues. So, I ask - dumbly - does she have or are they going to check for potential heart issues. And, then I would ask, how about other treatments? And, what can help her with CRF - there are things they can do - I think, in addition to the diet change.

A lot depends on if you are seeing other health related issues, and I am guessing not because you didn't mention any. She is older, so she needs a full senior blood panel and physical exam, if she hasn't already had one recently.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I saw that in the article about heart issues. So, I ask - dumbly - does she have or are they going to check for potential heart issues. And, then I would ask, how about other treatments? And, what can help her with CRF - there are things they can do - I think, in addition to the diet change.

A lot depends on if you are seeing other health related issues, and I am guessing not because you didn't mention any. She is older, so she needs a full senior blood panel and physical exam, if she hasn't already had one recently.

They stated she didn’t have a heart murmur which was great for a cat her age so I don’t suspect she has any heart issues and neither vet mentioned doing any testing on her heart. Other than I diet change, no other recommendations were given. She still eats and drinks fine and plays...so none of that has changed which is good. She has however become really picky now that I’ve switched her to wet food. She did eat dry food most of her life with the occasional wet. She understandably will no longer touch dry food now. Ha :crazy:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome.
I had a cat years ago that passed from kidney failure. I did not catch it in time and she only lived for a couple of months. I never had a chance to medicate her, just gave her sub Q fluids at home. I do remember she urinated a lot. I think that's part of it. She never leaked.
You were smart to get a second opinion. It sounds like the medication is helping and I hope it all goes well.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catching it early is key with renal failure; fortunately, you've done that.

Four and a half years ago we had an expert forum with Dr. Kris (the guest expert) about kidney disease and cats. That forum is closed now, but still available to read here: One more: 2%?. For one week we asked all the questions we had on this subject and got some excellent answers; it's a good resource any time a member has a cat with kidney problems.

Margret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Catching it early is key with renal failure; fortunately, you've done that.

Four and a half years ago we had an expert forum with Dr. Kris (the guest expert) about kidney disease and cats. That forum is closed now, but still available to read here: One more: 2%?. For one week we asked all the questions we had on this subject and got some excellent answers; it's a good resource any time a member has a cat with kidney problems.

Margret
Thank you!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat with renal failure, he was diagnosed when he was in stage 3, and he lived for an additional 3 years, till the ripe old age of 20.
We never medicated him, although I have heard of giving a cat a phosphorus binder to help eliminate it. His treatment consisted of subQ fluids and a change of diet. In his final months we started with injections to help his anemia.
Peeing a lot is quite common for a kidney cat, mine would often use the litter box right after eating or drinking, and yes, sometimes mid way thru. Toby peed on average 6 times a day, and they were all BIG clumps (3 inches in diameter). Although, mine never experienced incontinence. Your incontinence issues could be due to the infection. Hopefully it stops with the antibiotics.
Did the vet say if the Proin would have to be used long term? Because I had a cat who experienced incontinence after a bout of cystitis. He was put on a medication to strengthen his bladder control, I can't remember if it was Proin exactly, but he was only on it for a month, until he regained control again, and never had to use it again.

If you would like to research further into Kidney Disease in cats, check out this website Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
It is such a wonderful and detailed website that often I referenced when dealing with my kitty.

Hope this info helps!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a cat with renal failure, he was diagnosed when he was in stage 3, and he lived for an additional 3 years, till the ripe old age of 20.
We never medicated him, although I have heard of giving a cat a phosphorus binder to help eliminate it. His treatment consisted of subQ fluids and a change of diet. In his final months we started with injections to help his anemia.
Peeing a lot is quite common for a kidney cat, mine would often use the litter box right after eating or drinking, and yes, sometimes mid way thru. Toby peed on average 6 times a day, and they were all BIG clumps (3 inches in diameter). Although, mine never experienced incontinence. Your incontinence issues could be due to the infection. Hopefully it stops with the antibiotics.
Did the vet say if the Proin would have to be used long term? Because I had a cat who experienced incontinence after a bout of cystitis. He was put on a medication to strengthen his bladder control, I can't remember if it was Proin exactly, but he was only on it for a month, until he regained control again, and never had to use it again.

If you would like to research further into Kidney Disease in cats, check out this website Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
It is such a wonderful and detailed website that often I referenced when dealing with my kitty.

Hope this info helps!

Both vets I saw didn’t mention sub q fluids, but I am familiar with it. My girl is pretty hydrated thus far and I have read A LOT about crf, especially on Tanyas site. I bought crf wet food at $40 plus for 24 cans, and for me I just don’t think I’m going to be able to keeep buying them because of the cost. I’ve been researching alternatives for wet that are low phosphorus. I just want her to eat first and formost while also staying hydrated. I don’t want her to live her final years unhappy and hungry. So as of now I’m trying to keep her happy with what she will eat.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something else to keep in mind, to help keep the cost the prescription food down, is you could continue with it for say one meal a day and supplement with a different low phosphorus food for the others.
If there is one thing I know is CRF cats to tend to become quite picky with their food as they often get nauseated, and as such, associate their food with the nausea, so they will then tend to refuse to eat something they ate just fine the day before. So having multiple options of flavors and textures on hand and at the ready really helps to keep them eating.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Jem Jem ! I hadn't encountered that one before. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Sub Q fluids aren't just for hydration; they're the feline equivalent of peritoneal dialysis (Peritoneal dialysis - Wikipedia), and it's very helpful that you can learn to do it yourself at home. When my Sweet Thing was dying of kidney failure it was entirely an inpatient procedure - my poor baby spent a lot of time alone in a cage at the vet's office.

Margret