Cat Suddenly Finnicky

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

Finn, who was once a voracious eater, is now turning his nose up at virtually anything I offer him. I have offered 3 different canned food flavors and won't even eat the high quality kibble I keep on hand. The ONLY thing he will eat is the Iams kibble that the rescue sent home with me, which gives him loose, smelly stool (I suspect a chicken allergy). He saw a vet 4 days ago for a booster vaccine and is in perfect health. He plays, snuggles, and uses the litter box just fine. I am at my wits end trying to get him to eat something nutritious.

This morning, I tried offering canned food again and he sniffed it a couple times then swiped at the floor around it like he was trying to bury it. I put it in the fridge after about 20 minutes.

Yesterday morning, I forgot to put his breakfast away (it was canned) and I did come home to an empty bowl. However, I can't continue to leave canned food out because I have no idea how long it took him to eat it and don't want him to get sick from eating spoiled food.

I have tried heating it up, I have tried sprinkling cheese on it, I have tried crushing his beloved Iams kibble on top. I have tried mixing the Iams kibble with his Natural Balance kibble, but he seriously picks out the Iams and spits out the NB. He has eaten the NB with no problem before.I cannot afford to continue to buy good quality food only to end up throwing it out, and Finn cannot eat Iams kibble for the rest of his life because it gives him diarrhea.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any other suggestions?? Maybe something else I can add to the food to stimulate his appetite? Or a decent quality brand of canned food that is especially appealing?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my experience, when a cat suddenly becomes picky, there is something else going on. Did he have blood work done at his last checkup?

How do you know it's the Iams food causing diarrhea? Could he have parasites or some other illness that is causing both the diarrhea and the pickiness?

You can actually leave canned food food out for several hours safely. I often do this with my picky eater because he will eat more wet food if he can come back to it when no one is around. It will dry out before it goes bad, and they won't eat it once it gets a dry crust over it. Also cats are very good at avoiding spoiled food, with their sensitive noses.

Fancy Feast is known for being especially appealing to cats that don't want to eat. You could try several different flavors and see what he likes, and maybe get trial cans of several other brands in case there's one he particularly likes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He did have blood work done and he is completely healthy. I'm assuming it is the Iams/chicken upsetting his tummy because for about a week, he was eating Natural Balance L.I.D. and almost immediately returned to normal. Last night, I caved in and gave him a scoop of Iams before bed (he hadn't eaten since breakfast and it was close to 10 PM) and this morning, he was back to loose, smelly stool. I suppose I could be unlucky enough that he caught a bug within the 48 hours since he was last at the vet :lol: but I feel like the immediate relief when switched to a new food points more to a dietary sensitivity. He has a vet appointment already scheduled for next week, but I just want to get him eating more consistently in the meantime!

I will grab a few small cans of different varieties of FF. Thanks for the idea!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I hope you can find something that works for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilgenep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I hope you can find something that works for him.
He is eating a can of FF with gusto as we speak! Hooray and thanks for the tip!

Now hopefully I can gradually get him back on his normal diet.