Cat suddenly eating too much and gaining

old possum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5-6 year old female cat, who has suddenly started over-eating and begging for food constantly. She is gaining weight rapidly. I hesitate to bring her into the vet again as it is so stressful for her. Originally a feral, I took her in some years ago when she was pregnant. It took years to gain her trust but she settled in. A few weeks ago I took her for an emergency visit as she had a bird quill stuck in her mouth, and wounldn't eat and she was given a shot of antibiotics. She seemed to recover but a week later she developed a UTI, and another vet gave a different type of antibiotic (pills). She recovered completly from the UtI, but something went haywire and she won't stop eating ---I have 4 cats and she tries to eat everyone else's food and keeps begging and scrounging for more. I thought perhaps it might be worms but she is getting really fat and worms usually present with weight loss. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
As stressful as it may be, I'd take her back to the vet and get a full blood panel done. About 20 years ago my mothers cat Booty was doing the same thing, she was eating everything in sight, it turned out she had liver disease and diabetes. I'm not saying that's what it is, but you can never be too careful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

old possum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As stressful as it may be, I'd take her back to the vet and get a full blood panel done. About 20 years ago my mothers cat Booty was doing the same thing, she was eating everything in sight, it turned out she had liver disease and diabetes. I'm not saying that's what it is, but you can never be too careful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

old possum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying KittyCat---I fear you are right. I guess I was just hoping to avoid this route and try something at home.