Cat suddenly drooling...

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Bellabear suddenly started drooling this evening. She doesn't seem to have any bad teeth that I can see althoug she definitely didn't appreciate having her mouth pried open...She is eating and drinking fine. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she isn't throwing up. I am planning on calling the vet tomorrow if she is still drooling then. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be the matter?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any plants in your house that she could have eaten? There are several potential causes for drooling in cats, but, since this came on suddenly, I would want to rule out potential toxin ingestion first, because that is dangerous. If she could have eaten some of a lily, for example, she would need to see a vet right away.

Why Does My Cat Drool?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My other two cats are fine as well. She seems to be acting normally besides the drooling...which is like an intermittent drip from one side of her mouth. Not like the foaming type drooling I’ve seen, for example, if they’ve gotten flea treatment in their mouth on accident etc.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
No plants that are new...
Ok, good. When you checked in her mouth, you didn’t see any foreign objects, right? The article I liked above says that trouble swallowing (because of something stuck in a cat’s mouth) can cause drooling.

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, nothing looked amiss. And she’s eaten normally (kibble) since she’s started drooling earlier without difficulty swallowing.

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems to be normal this morning. No drooling at all...eating fine. I will take her in just to be sure and get a check up. 😀

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No plants that are new...
I'm glad you are taking her to the vet. Just as a quick story, once my cat was having zoomies as usual but unusually, she bit a rose branch! She's been living with that same rose for 2 years at that point and has never done anything like that nor showed any interest in it. But that night during the zoomies she bit it out of, well, zoomies. We had a vet appointment couple days after that and of course she had a small wound on her tongue. Cats...