Cat suddenly acting very strange (hissing and growling)

MemphyAndMartyMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! My cat has suddenly began acting very strange and I wanted to know if people think I should take him to the emergency vet.
I was in a bedroom which connects to a bathroom that he was lounging in when I suddenly heard him yowl. I ran in and he began hissing and growling and not letting me or my other cat near him. This went on for a good 15 seconds at least. I’ve never heard him hiss once before, he’s not prone to it at all so it was super strange behavior.
There’s no windows in the bathroom he was in and no loud noises happened so I don’t know what would’ve spooked him to this level.
After 15/20 seconds he stopped, and I sat down with him and gave him some treats to see if he’d eat. He ate them just fine, and at this point seems almost totally back to normal. He won’t play with his toys and that’s a bit out of the ordinary for him, he’s generally ready to play at the drop of a hat, he’s the most playful cat I’ve ever met. He’s letting me touch him though and he’s eating fine. I’m worried about him though. It’s currently 2am where I’m at, but I’m willing to take him to an emergency vet if that’s what I should do. I’m just not sure since he’s not being vocal anymore.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give him a few more hours to make sure this doesn't happen again. Cats can, and do, have nightmares, and can be disoriented when they wake from them, just as we can be.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is your cat doing better now? It may or may not work, but you could try calming diffusers (Feliway is probably the most 'known' one, but there are others) where he sleeps and see if that would help any. I doubt if there is any proof anywhere that it could prevent nightmares (if that is what happened), but it certainly can't hurt to try. Cat music, and/or a heartbeat toy or ticking clock are other types of soothers used with cats - mostly for anxiety, but they might help to calm a sleeping cat too!