Cat Sudden Behaviour Change, Only Towards Me

Joey939

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

Im new to this website, but i have been searching everywhere for reasons and solutions to this problem that’s been happening to me over the past month or so.

My scottish fold Emmie, is now around 10 months old, she is not neutered. I had her since she was a little 3 months kitten and she treated me like i was her mother all the time, she used to follow me around, sit on my shoulder/lap/hand, she’d run to the door for me when i came back home, she’d immediately run towards me when i put my hand down at her level.

However all of this changed this past month and its been very saddening to me. Now, when i call her she ignores me, even worse she sometimes gives me her back as a response, when i try to pet her she dodges my hands, and god forbid i put her in my lap without her consent, she’d meow like she was dying. However, she’d sometimes let me pet her while she’s laying comfortably in one of her spots, even then, its like im on a petting timer that soon expires.

What makes my situation worse, is that her attitude only changed towards me. She would now run to my dad when he calls her, she would sit on his lap for hours and purr like she’s in kitten heaven. While im apparently kitten hell :( i miss her purring

I didnt know where to go or who to ask so here i am asking all you lovely cat people. Someone please tell me there’s something i can do, or why she’s been this way, as its been stressing me out and im really sad to see her this way only with me :( i havent changed her food, i change her litterbox on a weekly basis, and there is nothing else i can think of that can be causing this.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Don't worry she still loves you. You probably did not to do anything. She is just a teenage girl. You said it yourself you felt like she used to think of you as mother, well now that she is a teen and like any teen she is more interested into making new friendship than spending time with mother. She will come back to you I promise. In the mean time show her that you still love her and that you miss her: try to new stuff with her, play more and go to her talk her sweet and pet her as much as she wants to. Show her that you understand she wants to explore the world but that you are still there for her. And most importantly breathe and relax cats can feel our stress and she might be feeling that you stressed and she does not know what to do with this so she is more distant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joey939

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Letta for taking the time to reply! Reading this did make me feel a bit better about it, i guess all i gotta do is be patient and wait for her to come around. As i write this she is going all teenage-y on me and ignoring my every call lol :(

Attachments

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why not going over her and talk sweetly to her, exchange an eye kiss and then let her be.. But let her know first that you miss her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joey939

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do that all the time, whenever i miss her which is almost every 5 minutes :lol: i walk over to her and sometimes drop to her eye level to kiss her and talk to her a bit, before she stands and changes her spot. Im honestly confused of how much her behaviour changed towards me, i keep thinking i must’ve done something that upset her somehow and she’s just mad at me or something

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is probably not mad no, but cats are like humans sometimes they want to be alone. kittens need our protection and seek reassurance as they become older they want a bit more space. they still love you as much as before but they like their alone time. What happens if you ignore her for a few hours?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At ten months your girl is either going to go into heat or get pregnant. Sometimes the first few heats can cause subtle behavior changes in a kitten that you might not notice until she slips out to find a mate. Please get her spayed as soon as you can.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't try and force it, it'll have the opposite effect.

Reward her with praise and treats. My cat does the same. I trained her to sleep at my side, on the couch, by laying her next to me on the couch and treating her. Now it's her favourite things in the world.

Try ignoring her and being nonchalant. Watch her come to you.