Cat Struggling To Walk For 10 Months

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! How are things?
Hello, as of now Lily is doing okay however he cannot move his body. Rather than his body being in paralysis, he can’t seem to lift his body. His legs work fine when laying down but he cannot lift himself up. I noticed that when I lift him upright his front limbs go weak although it looks like he is trying hard to lift himself. I have been talking with someone that got an MRI for their cat and the steps. The anesthesia is definitely the most concerning because depending on how long the process is, the anesthesia can worsen the condition of the cat. I’m still debating on whether to get an MRI although right now I’m not too forward with the idea. I have noticed that he is gaining weight and I have been trying to get him diet food as well as feed him wet canned food (although he doesn’t like it very much). If anyone has any diet food recommendations I would gladly take them. The diet food that my vet suggested didn’t work too well for Lily.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There have been members who've had their overweight cats lose weight with canned food, so I think if you can find a wet food he likes you'll hopefully be ok there. Try Merrick Backcountry pouches, or Natural Balance pouches as well.

How To Compare Cat Foods & Calculate Carbs: Dry Matter Basis – Cat Articles

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
Thank you, I will try and see if he like those. He occasionally eats some wet food but he won’t finish it all. I’ve noticed he eats with his tongues so sometimes the wet chunks are hard for him to eat. I mix in with baby food or pumpkin too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Friskies has an Extra Gravy pate' style, and Kasiks, although a bit pricey unless a person gets the big cans, is a wetter pate style. Fancy Feast has a new style I haven't tried yet, where it's a pate with gravy in the center, plus they have Gravy Lovers which your baby might like too.

When you're buying baby food, look for Beechnut rather than Gerber. The Gerber foods have cornstarch in them. The beechnut is wetter :)

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Hello everyone, many of you may not be interested at this point, but I would like to update on my cat Lily and his condition. As of now, he can no longer move his legs and he has become completely immobile. I have been taking care of him by feeding him directly to his mouth and carrying him to the litter box when he meows. Lately because I have to work, I have decided to get cat diapers so he won’t ruin the floor when I’m not home. It hurts to see him no longer able to pick himself up, he lays on his bed all day and although I carry him around the room he wants to stay in his bed. He still deals with constipation however the miralax I feed him helps a lot. He still has a good appetite and seems energetic despite not being able to move. I have given up getting an MRI as his condition isn’t looking too good either way. I want to provide a comfortable life for him so if anyone has any advice or has owned an immobile/disabled cat I would like to know how you took care of them. I have researched ways to take care of a disabled cat and have gotten the basics (diapers, brushing, body massage) but if anyone has tips that can help Lily be more comfortable it would help a lot. Thank you to the people that have stuck around through this journey and provided so much helpful information. Lily may not have lived this long without the help of you all and I beg that you continue to help me until Lily’s final moments as I am very scared and worried of the future. I have braced myself multiple times for the worst and have stressed myself out throughout the past year, but now I have accepted his fate and would like to enjoy being with him for the rest of his life to the best of my ability.

LuluM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things?
Things are good, Lily is still in the same condition however he is active at least emotionally. I have to give him a bath occasionally now that he cannot bathe himself. I’ve been trying to get him used to the diaper but he keeps complaining every time I put it on him. He does play with toys I gave him even though the most he can do is chew on them. The only problem I have is keeping him laying down on both sides since it isn’t healthy to have him laying in one position all day. He complains but I try to force him to lay on his other side. I’m still open to any suggestions, it’s been a routine of mine to take care of Lily and he doesn’t seem to accept anybody else to take care of him. So for the time being I can’t travel anywhere, but I’m willing to stay for Lily

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello -
I just wanted you to know that we're thinking about you and hoping things are going ok in the midst of everything else that's happening :heartshape: