Cat strollers

jessica00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here actually tried these? I bought one - hot pink, at that! - but have yet to use it since it has been too cold still, but they LOVE to sleep in it so that must be a good sign, even though my family and friends have laughed at me i'm very excited to take them for walks on a warm day lol!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one, and some of our kitties like cruising around the house in it... but I've never tried zipping it shut.
Not sure how they'd handle it if they felt confined.

We actually bought the stroller as a substitute for the standard carriers, because two of our cats weigh more than 20 pounds, and it's very hard to lift them in a carrier. It makes vet visits a lot easier.

I never have tried taking any of our kitties out for a recreational jaunt, though, because around the time we bought the stroller, a neighbor's unleashed pit bull followed me down home from one of my walks, growling and shoving his mouth against the backs of my knees!

After that, I lost all interest in going outside for awhile. And even though that family has moved away, I'm painfully aware that the fabric and netting on these strollers is not strong enough to protect a cat if a big dog like that decided to attack.

Also, since all our cats seem to be comfortable being indoors-only, I sure don't want to get them interested in the outdoors again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessica00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh my, i never thought about them getting too exposed to the outdoors and wanting to go back always! and that story about the dog is awful! I hope i don't run into any crazy dogs when we go out

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, no, I haven't a stroller with my kitties.
It's cute, though!

Polly is scared of going outside and has no interest in being out. Molly, though. . .she sometimes gets so sneaky and intent on getting out, waiting for a split second of carelessness to dart out the doorway. To help her calm down a bit I started taking her out on a harness and leash. It didn't really change much as far as her wanting to go outside. She has episodes of wanting to wander as much as she did before. She really really enjoys walking me (it's the truth, lol), though, and seeing her happy soaking up the sun makes me happy as well.

ETA: Re-reading this the next morning I make it sound like Molly isn't spayed and she wants out to look for mate. Nope, she's spayed.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessica00

Has anyone here actually tried these? I bought one - hot pink, at that! - but have yet to use it since it has been too cold still, but they LOVE to sleep in it so that must be a good sign, even though my family and friends have laughed at me i'm very excited to take them for walks on a warm day lol!
I need a stroller for my older JRT dog who can't handle walks anymore but want him to feel he can still enjoy our outings
. Where did you find that one? I want on with the screen on the back too so I can see him. My cats might enjoy it too

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had one! I loved to take them for walks in it, despite the looks I got from strangers who thought I was crazy. Haha.

Unfortunately I left it out while we were out of town since they loved to nap in it, and they destroyed it! They must have been playing a rambunctious game of chase and pounce involving the stroller - the whole top was ripped apart. Oh well...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessica00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to take my cats on a harness and they freeze in one spot lol it is stressful! I bought it online there is a huge selection if you googled them, they are rather expensive though

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessica00

I tried to take my cats on a harness and they freeze in one spot lol it is stressful!
LOL, yeah, that's what Molly did when I first put a harness on her. I gave her a lot of time to get used to the feel of the harness before putting a leash on her, though, and she's great now. She also used to crawl around on her belly while she was wearing it.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tease my husband about getting one so that he can take Thai for walks. He doesn't see the humor!
Heaven forbid his friends might find out how crazy he really is about that cat!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are awesome for getting one

Love the idea.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love the idea, too! I always wanted to get one for Banshee, our Bridge baby. She loved being outside and she loved having people around. She and I would go outside quite often, whether it was a walk in the back yard so she could sniff the flowers or just she and I sitting in the swing on the back deck. If any cat would have loved the stroller, it would have been her.

We live on a country road, though, and it's just cars and trucks. I wouldn't have wanted to take her out along that road...we would have had to drive into town, so that we could walk along the town streets. That would have been OK, too, though, because she had a gasoline butt. All I had to do was jingle my car keys and say, "Banshee! Byes?" and she would meet me at the front door, ready to go.

DH talked me out of getting a stroller and I'm always sorry now that I didn't. It would have been perfect for her.

Enjoy your stroller! I really hope your cats enjoy it, too!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they're great but people in my neighborhood already think I"m nuts so I can juts imagine what they would think if they seen me walking down the road with a cat in the stroller

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

I think they're great but people in my neighborhood already think I"m nuts so I can juts imagine what they would think if they seen me walking down the road with a cat in the stroller
People always I was a little wacky, too, when it came to Banshee, our Queen B. We always took her to get her picture taken with Santa Paws (OK, it was really Santa Claus because it was for human kids). It was at a local garden shop.

One year, I bundled her up in her blankie and off we went to the shop for her picture. We walked inside the shop and, since we had to wait for our turn, she and I walked throughout the store. She was really good and I don't think people really knew that it was a cat in my arms and not a human baby.

Well, it was a garden shop and there were some birds flying around that had gotten into the shop. A bird chirped and poof! Banshee's head came out of her blankie to see the birds. One of the other customers said, "OMG, that's a cat!" And everybody came over to see our kitty-baby. Of course, Banshee took it all in stride as she was such a people-kitty and she was used to lots of attention. But I'm sure some people thought I had a few screws loose to bring her in for her picture with Santa Paws. Thank goodness the people at the shop liked cats because they always let me bring her in for her picture.

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a very similar one, only its not on wheels but rather straps around your front. My ten month old has been using it daily since he was four months old. We take him in the car everyday to the wood about a twenty minute drive away.
He stands like a rock to have his harness put on (he gets a treat for this) then has no probs being put into the carrier. In fact when i get it out of the cupboard he waits by the front door! He sits in the carrier on my lap in the car and enjoys looking out of the car window. We then walk him for an hour on an extendable leash ( yes he walks with us like a dog, only stopping for tree climbing, sniffs or to poop!) and then we take him home. He will spend the return jouney totally relaxed having a good wash. He will also happily be in his carrier with his head poking out while walking down our busy high street. It has a mini leash inside that clips to his harness.
I would love to know if anyone else has fully harness trained their cats

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Turks rule!

I would love to know if anyone else has fully harness trained their cats
I consider my cat fully harness trained. She doesn't walk exactly like a dog, though. She likes to walk at a relatively slow pace and take in the scenery, sniff, and climb rather than go for a run or anything. It's just her nature, though. In 5 years I'm sure she'll be the same.

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its good to know that i am not the only crazy person that takes their cat for a walk

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you're not alone. You should see the weird looks I get, though. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have 3 pet strollers. The first one I bought, I had two kittens at the time but they outgrew it pretty quickly so I bought another larger one.

I have several large cats and it makes it SO much easier when taking them anywhere especially if we're going to shows/events. The cats love it and I've also taken them outside in it for fun, which they really like. The few times I took them out in the neighborhood I brought a blanket to cover the stroller, so if people passed by I would generally cover it up so they don't start asking me why I have cats in a stroller! I also use the blanket when transporting the stroller to the car if we're going to the vet or something and it's cold or windy, to keep them from getting cold.

The third one I got because it was bigger than the second and the wheels are bigger so it's smoother/easier to push, and it also is 3-wheeled. I also like that it has a solid "rim" when you unzip it so the cats can put their paws up on that which they like to do (like they're doing in the photo.)

This is the 3-wheel stroller I have:

This is the other one (not the one they outgrew, but the 2nd one I bought):

The one you can partially see to one side is the first one, that they had outgrown.