Cat straining to poop, bum a bit red & off bowel movements

LocosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My almost 13 year old boy has been going from having soft poops, hard poops, normal poops with some diarrhea at the ends for the past few months. I give him restoralax every few days to help. Doctors suspect it’s due to stress he’s endured this year (3 different surgeries and various medications at times). His bum looks a bit red, however the doctors don’t think anything is wrong and his anal glands are fine. He scoots occasionally and tries to groom his bum after he poops but isn’t able to reach (due to being chubby). I recently bought the Glandex wipes that should arrive tomorrow. Does anyone think it’s worth sending a poo sample to the lab?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Why did he have surgery? If you are feeding dry try to slowly get him on wet. Especially since he's senior

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LocosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why did he have surgery? If you are feeding dry try to slowly get him on wet. Especially since he's senior
He had dental extractions, PU surgery and then a craniotomy 😩 he is on a wet food diet and only has dry occasionally.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S boulardii is great if your cat has diarrhoea. If his stools are hard or he is straining try mixing some water with his wet food or maybe ask your vet for something.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My almost 13 year old boy has been going from having soft poops, hard poops, normal poops with some diarrhea at the ends for the past few months. I give him restoralax every few days to help. Doctors suspect it’s due to stress he’s endured this year (3 different surgeries and various medications at times). His bum looks a bit red, however the doctors don’t think anything is wrong and his anal glands are fine. He scoots occasionally and tries to groom his bum after he poops but isn’t able to reach (due to being chubby). I recently bought the Glandex wipes that should arrive tomorrow. Does anyone think it’s worth sending a poo sample to the lab?
Did the vet also give anti inflammatory medications each time after the surgeries?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LocosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet also give anti inflammatory medications each time after the surgeries?
Yes, I believe so. He also recently had a urine test that revealed cystitis so had two doses of onsior. Sighhhhhhh.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I believe so. He also recently had a urine test that revealed cystitis so had two doses of onsior. Sighhhhhhh.
So, did the medicines cause any adverse effects? I mean, health problems?