Cat Stopped Using Litterbox

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have four neutered male cats, 1.) Jasper, a tabby and white cat, 6yrs, 2.) KC, gray tabby, 6yrs, 3.) Bandit, black and white tuxedo siamese mix, 6 yrs., and 4.) TJ, gray tabby, 5 yrs. Three are 6 years old, and one is 5 years old. Jasper is the alpha cat, and TJ is the wanna be alpha cat, always challenging Jasper, and sometimes instigates tiffs with him and the others. I believe Bandit is the low cat on the totem pole. Bandit is very skittish and shy. He is my lap cat when I am home. We have never had a litter box problem before. I can't think of anything that has changed except for their food three months ago. I had to change to prescription Royal Canin SO for UTI after TJ had a persistant UTI for months and a stone removed surgically. They all like the food. They have plenty of fresh water at all times. I keep the litterboxes as clean as I can. For the past few weeks, I've noticed poop around in the house in various places, including on top of furniture. The other day, I noticed urine also. I actually saw Bandit in the act, so I know which one it is. I had him to the vet yesterday, and he is fine health wise. I think it might be a stress related problem. The other cats might be bullying him or something. I put an extra litterbox in another location yesterday, but it hasn't been used. The rug in the kitchen was used instead. Last week, he went on the futon and left a huge wet spot in the cushion. I had to remove the entire cushion to treat.

I was hoping the extra litter box would resolve the problem, but it hasn't. I don't know what else to do. Help!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like Bandit is getting bullied a bit. That can happen when the cats's personalities are so different.

The placement of the boxes may also factor in. If a box is in a corner, or backed up against a wall where there is no escape, the bully cat may have trapped Bandit in the box and scared him off. Although inconvenient, all of our litter boxes are short side against the wall and away from the wall.

Giving Bandit his own room when you are not home may also help. We have a cat with his own room, 24/7. When he's out with the other 5, he sprays everywhere. In his own room, he is king and doesn't need to. Luckily, he's a loner and as we caught him when he'd been an outside cat for a year, he's a bit rough around the edges. We visit daily but often, he could care less. It doesn't sound like Bandit would adjust to that but giving him a safe spot might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would hate to coop Bandit up in a room while I'm at work, but maybe he wouldn't mind? Our house is an open floor plan, so couldn't give him more than one room. It could be the bedroom with litter pan in the ajoining bathroom. I suppose I could try that for a while and see how it goes. I'd have to cover the bed with something waterproof, though, so he wouldn't ruin it if he should decide to make that his new spot "to go".

The litter boxes we have are very large... made out of large plastic storage bins with a hole in one end. I clean them by tilting the box on one end into the smaller container inside that sifts all of the litter at once, then dump the clumps. They work great! I was putting the tops on them, but lately I've taken the tops off so he won't feel "trapped". I could pull them out from the wall a little, but there's not much space where they are, and it's a dead-end situation in that room. Unfortunately, I have nowhere else in this small house to put the litter boxes, or I would try a different location.

I can't imagine why the other cats would "guard" the litter boxes, but the vet mentioned that.

I feel as if the other cats should be the ones to be put in a room while I'm gone instead of Bandit, but that would be difficult, too.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put plastic on the bed and give him the bedroom for a few days. See what happens.

Glad you took the tops of the boxes. I can't imagine who invented those - I'd hate to sit on the toilet under a canopy like that!

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything like plastic big enough to cover the bed, but it does have a waterproof mattress protector. I could just take the comforter off of the bed, and if he has an "accident" there, it wouldn't be such a huge issue to wash, I suppose. I wish I had thought of doing that this weekend while I was home to know if he would be content in there or not. I'd hate to shut him in there and have him wailing to get out until I got back home. That certainly wouldn't ease his stress any. :(

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The extra litter box in the bathroom seems to have done the trick, although we have noticed things in Bandit's fur that feels like scabs. Hubby said he's getting picked on, and that I should put him in the bedroom by himself while I'm at work. :(

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great to hear that the extra box is helping :D It does sound like Bandit's getting bullied though. I agree that, for now at least, giving him his own space when you're not around is the best thing to do. You may see it as cooping him up, but I'm certain that Bandit won't see it that way - rather, it'll be a relief to have some space and peace where he knows he's safe :winkcat:

Longer term, you'll need to look at some stress-busting measures to help Bandit regain some confidence around the other cats. The easiest place to start is daily interactive playtime for everyone. This will allow the more confident cats to burn off excess energy in a positive way, and it will help Bandit regain some self confidence and confidence in the territory. Feliway diffusers may help everybody chill a little too, which can only be a good thing.
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I would also go around your home, looking at it from Bandit's perspective. Wherever possible, try to remove or block off anyplace he could be cornered. The easiest way to do this is to open up more vertical space, using cat trees, wall furniture, tops of sturdy bookshelves etc. Just knowing that there are escape routes will help Bandit feel more confident too. The other great advantage of opening up more vertical space is that it effectively increases the available territory. The larger the territory, the lower the chances are of territorial disputes ;)
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Columbine, for all of your input and ideas!

For the last two days, the other cats were in the bedroom when I was ready to leave for work, and Bandit was in the living room in his favorite chair, so I just shut the door and the other cats were in the bedroom. They had food, water and access to the small litter box in the bathroom. I only work 9 am to 1 pm Mon - Fri, so it wasn't all day.

Bandit was especially lovable and talkative to me when I got home, but when I let the others out of the bedroom, which I had to do, after all, Bandit went and hid. :(

I'll have to get one or two of those fishing pole toys and try playing with all of the cats with them like suggested and see if that helps, and I'll look into that feliway diffuser. We don't have much room for cat furniture, but I'll see how I can somehow make more "space" for them, too. I do have some shelves with space in them, but one is a corner shelf, and he might feel trapped in that one.

I saw a video where a man had built catwalks along his walls and ceilings even going from room to room! Just shelves in rows up high would increase spaces for them. I'll work on these ideas!!

Thanks again!! :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Using walls for vertical space is just fine, especially if floor space is limited. You can get tons of kitty wall furniture these days - and even wall mounted cat trees!

I've seen that video too, and it's just amazing :cloud9:

So great to hear that Bandit's had some days with the main living areas to himself. That will definitely help boost his confidence there long term, as well as getting the other cats more familiar with his scent. I'll bet he's loving his play sessions too :cutecat:

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad you took the tops of the boxes. I can't imagine who invented those - I'd hate to sit on the toilet under a canopy like that!
I had to put the tops back on mine - Pierre stands up to pee and it was going over the sides and onto the floor, even with "extra tall" litterboxes :(

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know who invented covered litter boxes. I have always had covered litter boxes with no problems until recently, but I can't attest that the cover on the litterboxes contributed to Bandit's problem or not, as they are all used to them, and that hasn't changed. I decided to remove the tops after someone mentioned he might feel "trapped" and be more comfortable if he had more space to "escape". I certainly want him and the others to feel safe where they are.

It seems that having a litter box in a second location did the trick, and also giving Bandit space to himself. I can't keep them separated all the time, but I think separating them while I am away from the house is beneficial. I wish this house afforded more options as to litter box locations and areas for seclusion.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you're doing well with what you've got :) I frequently bemoan the layout of my house too - it's a mix of fantastic and terrible as far as the cats are concerned:rolleyes:

I've used covered litterboxes for years now, and my guys seem to prefer them. I think it all depends on the individual cats :dunno:

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different, just like we are. Some are alike in ways, but no two are exactly alike. It's difficult to please them all sometimes. Now we are in the middle of repairing/renovating the main bathroom where I put the extra litterbox, and hubby took the door to the hall off to work on the floor, so I can't keep the cats separated unless I put the litter box in the bedroom. I suppose I could do that during the day, and move it into the bathroom for the night. It's so inconvenient and fiddly right now, but hopefully it's just temporary. Trouble is, hubby is a truck driver and gone two weeks at a time, and only has two days home every two weeks. It will take a long time to finish the bathroom.