Cat Stopped Eating

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oreo 8 years old.(100% indoors) Has stopped wanting to eat.
She gets dry food once a day and canned 3 times a day. The past couple days she has stopped wanting to eat all of her dry food. But has eaten her canned food.

Today was fine until dinner when she gets her dry food . She stayed sleeping and had no interest in coming to eat. Offered her canned food and she still doesnt want it. Offered again now, warming it up. She ate a small bit. But doesnt want many.
I dont have tuna or baby food . To offer her.
She had her teeth cleaned and a couple removed last year. I have more then one cat so not sure about her bathroom habits . I hate when they dont feel like eating. Other then trying cat lax for hairball or steaming bathroom if she is sick. Im lost as what to do.
I want to add they all got wellness chicken canned food on Thursday and again yesterday(monday) they dont ever have it. But a friend gave me a case of it. Also her snd another cat shared a can of Pure BalanceI last night. Which i dont buy often. wonder if there could be an allergy related item in it? Or just coincidental?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She just used the litter box and has diarrhea. Then started vomiting. :/

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that she is sick. I think a vet visit would be the very best thing. Sending you guys my thoughts and prayers. Do keep us updated with her :crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Please take her to the vet. Whatever is going on, it would seem it is getting worse. It still possibly could be a food allergy, but it could also be a whole lot of other things as well.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Waiting on blood work. Fever of 104 :/

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blood work looks good. Being sent home with clavamox. They assume its viral.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might want to read this article on Clavamox - it indicates that it is not for viral issues, but rather to treat bacterial infections. If you didn't already ask the vet, you might want to clarify why this antibiotic is being given for something that they think is viral in nature.

I really only looked it up, because just like with human antibiotics some of the side effects are the same as the issues that caused the problem to begin with (vomiting, diarrhea). I hate that! Also, just like human antibiotics, they should be given with food.

Side Effects of Clavamox for Cats

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They gave it for secondary infections.

We took in a mom and her kittens for 2 weeks. Im worried she got something from them. They were kept in a bedroom. But mom cat was taken to the vet as she didnt seem to feel well and also had a fever and loss of appetite. I wonder if we transferred something to our cats :(

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You never know...As long as she gets better, who cares? However, she could pass whatever she has to them. If you still have them, just keep an eye out for signs.

Please keep us posted on how Oreo is doing - as well as the others, if they are still with you.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont have the others. They went to foster home last monday. But do have other cats

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh. Gotcha ya. Just guess you need to keep an eye on your other cats. I would suggest you notify the foster home about Oreo's illness, but other than telling them she is sick, you don't really have a lot of information - other than they could just watch the mom and kittens for a while. Maybe, they have already been sick like Oreo and you could at least find that out.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did let them know. I just dont know what Oreo has. The foster says everyone is fine. I worry about giardia and coccidia. If they could get sick from us going into the room and then walking through the house. I feel guilty i made my cat sick. Bringing the others in the house.
Its been a rough month. I wasnt even suppose to take them. But the original foster was irresponsible and lost our spot at the first rescue. :( the vet trip today cost me $200. Trying to sell crafts online. But i dont make much on each one.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I worry about giardia and coccidia. If they could get sick from us going into the room and then walking through the house. I feel guilty i made my cat sick. Bringing the others in the house.
I am guessing that you asked the vet about testing for giardia and coccidia, since you are concerned about it - or, couldn't because of the cost?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No i didnt. They need a stool sample? She hasn't had much

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe these articles will help, if you don't already know all the particulars.

Everything You Need to Know About Coccidia in Cats
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/giardia-in-cats
Ive read these numerous times and still not sure if its possible. my husbands wonders if the cats have been gone for over a week. what could live that long on surfaces, clothing etc? or is it that maybe she just wasnt showing signs of illness?
Can someone explain the red and white blood cells results. if its viral does it show there or just bacterial? WBC 13.64, RBC 9.04. she explained to me but forgetting what she said, im so exhausted and working on little sleep

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update. Got her to eat some food with fortiflora. Even mixing it in she doesnt want much and isnt really interested. As she doesnt go to her bowl when im giving everyone else their food.
I gave her syringes of food last night and again today at dinner. She was drinking water earlier. So glad to see that. But its so hard to syringe wet food. Even pate the pieces clog the opening :/
I hope she starts to feel better. I feel so bad and beat myself up wondering how she got sick.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She came to eat with everyone at bedtime. But sniffs the food and will not eat.
So i made her a slurry to syringe feed. Gave her time between each syringe full.
She was going in and out of the litter box, then went in scratching a lot in it came out and threw up her food. :/ pretty sure she didnt go. She did that, when she had a stone. But dont think she threw up then. And appetite was fine. They did an xray they other day no more stone, no blockage. Im going to call in the morning. But feel so bad she has nothing in her stomach and dont want to force her to eat more.
and dont understand whats going on with her.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post her test results. If anyone sees anything. I have to take her back on Monday if she isnt getting better. I am at a loss of what else this could be and what they can test for next? She ate a bit at breakfast and lunch. I dont know if i should have but didnt give clavamox today. To see if its causing her to not want to eat.