Cat stopped eating wet food after move

BonBon&Maxl’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently moved homes (same neighborhood) and we have two cats. They are both indoor cats since kittenhood. The 6 year old, Maxl, stopped eating his favorite thing which is wet food. It‘s been a month and he’s still refusing. We’ve tried switching brands, got his favorite, etc. He will meow and lead us to his dish but then refuse it after one sniff. He’s eating dry food and drinking water and functioning normally in the litter box. The only other behavioral change is that he needs to be on our bed and he kneads me every morning and Kay’s on top of me. His behavior at our former home was he’d only be with my husband and rarely came to our bed. My husband was the only one who he would cuddle with but now it’s all about me. we are giving him lots of affection. He still plays chase with his sister as he did before.
would appreciate any insights. Everything I’ve read online is that it takes 2 weeks to adjust. Thank you!

MiatheKitty

Queen Mia
Young Cat
Purraise
When me and my partner moved our cats when we lived together refused to eat but after couple weeks they started to eat. Have you tried seeing if they will eat fresh Tuna etc?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A month is not long at all in a cat's world. He may be a little more sensitive and is still upset with the move. You could get some calming treats and see if that helps, in the meantime, get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors to see if you can spark his appetite. Keep offering him the wet food, one day he will decide to eat it again. But you know what? maybe not. There are a lot of grain-free good dry out there now, so find a good one for him.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Could just be stress but since I have one who is very sensitive to odors, and if you have a dishwasher in both places, this may not be a likely cause, but if you hand wash possibly the water you are washing his dishes in has a different odor? Or if you switched from hand washing to dishwasher? If so I would try rinsing his dishes in bottled water.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonBon&Maxl’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A month is not long at all in a cat's world. He may be a little more sensitive and is still upset with the move. You could get some calming treats and see if that helps, in the meantime, get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors to see if you can spark his appetite. Keep offering him the wet food, one day he will decide to eat it again. But you know what? maybe not. There are a lot of grain-free good dry out there now, so find a good one for him.
Great suggestions. Thank you 🙏

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonBon&Maxl’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could just be stress but since I have one who is very sensitive to odors, and if you have a dishwasher in both places, this may not be a likely cause, but if you hand wash possibly the water you are washing his dishes in has a different odor? Or if you switched from hand washing to dishwasher? If so I would try rinsing his dishes in bottled water.
Very insightful 🙏

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See if Alexa will get RelaxMyCat for you.
I think MusicForCats might be membership only but I'm not positive about that, or you could also try "harp music for cats" :)