Cat Stool

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I have been on the site I have noticed people on the threads or posts that mention their cats feces. It seems that most people who talk about it on here have cats with soft/smelly poop
. I don't no what is normal for a cats poop but all of my cats
poop is very, very hard. It's not hard because it has been in the box a while and dried up either. I know because Buttons is very picky about her box and if it isn't just right she poops right outside of it and it is wet but hard as a marble. When I check after my others have gone in the box it's the same thing. I just think it is so strange that even before their poop dries it is so hard. I don't mean to be so gross (or descriptive) but I like to know what is going on with my cats. Is hard poop like this normal? There is a benefit to it-the boxes don't ever smell poopie

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hard dry stools could end up causing problems for your kitties, and it could become painful for them to poop. You might try giving them a dose of laxatone (or other hairball remedy) once a week or so, or squirt a little fish oil (from fish oil capsules) on their food each night. These will soften the stool but shouldn't make them more smelly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lotsocats,

Thanks. I can't get my cats to eat the hairball/laxative remedies unless I put some on the front paws/arms and them I really have to mash it in or they flick it off. So, I think I will try the fish oil.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alexander hates hairball remedy too. He's learned how to wipe it off his legs onto the carpet and the couch.
He's lucky he's cute.