Cat Stomach Issues

Dgenners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
For about the last week and a half , my cat has had very soft stool. The first occurrence happened after he tried new food and new treats, but we immediately switched him back to his normal food. His stool has not improved.

In all other ways he is acting completely normal. Should I be worried?

Some other factors in our house: introduced a new cat to our house and we set up our fake Christmas tree. This cat did like to lick at the tree branches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dgenners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! My cat in question is only 9 months old!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! A new cat, and the tree, on top of the new food/treats are all probably playing a role. When he is licking the tree, could he be eating anything off it - say some sort of 'finish' on the branches, or tinsel, etc.? Some members use psyllium or plain pumpkin to help firm up stool, but I would just watch him for now and see if any other signs of a possible illness show up.

Also, see what you can do to keep him away from the tree. Perhaps, a citrus spray? I just heard of a new solution for cats that hate citrus - one member placed oranges around the edge-base of the tree to stop their cat from wanting to get close to it. I have no idea how effective this would be for most cats.
1605794767883-png.359262 (1536×2000) (thecatsite.com)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take awhile for tummies to settle from being upset. If you can find the human supplement, saccharomyces boullardi, I would add a little bit to wet food each serving and see if that helps clear it up. We have also used the human probiotic, Culturelle. We add about 1/8 of a capsule twice a day. This helps replenish the good bacteria in the tummy, which then helps the gastrointestinal tract. If it doesn't clear up, you might need to get to the vet and ask for either some medicine to stop the soft poops or some gastrointestinal food to help soothe the tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dgenners

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awesome! This is all super helpful! I will look into adding the medicine.

I do believe he might have eaten some of the fake tree needles which is not helping. I bought a citrus spray so fingers crossed! 🤞🏻