cat stinky like poopy

mashathekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have recently got a kitten, shes 9 weeks old and is it normal for her to not wash her butt? is it because shes young or something else. she doesn’t stain anything she sits on however her butt does have poop stains and she stinks a bit like poop.. just want advice or need to know if this is normal…

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
9 weeks is a bit young to be away from mom. Is there any way you can bring the kitten back so she can be with mom until she's a little older? Mom teaches kittens how to groom, use the litter box, etc so sometimes young kittens have no idea how to do anything.

If you can't bring the kitten back to mom, just clean the butt with a damp paper towel as needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mashathekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is it really bad that they gave me her early? i cant bring her back :( what should I do?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is it really bad that they gave me her early? i cant bring her back :( what should I do?
If you are inexperienced with young Kittens then adopting or fostering another Cat would help. It might sound backwards, but 2 Cats will be less work than a single young Kitten because the other one will help teach her things that the mother normally would. Ideally an adult, another Kitten will play and they'll keep eachother occupied, but won't be able to teach stuff they don't know yet either.

mashathekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are inexperienced with young Kittens then adopting or fostering another Cat would help. It might sound backwards, but 2 Cats will be less work than a single young Kitten because the other one will help teach her things that the mother normally would. Ideally an adult, another Kitten will play and they'll keep eachother occupied, but won't be able to teach stuff they don't know yet either.
sadly i cant

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not REALLY bad you got her early, it happens too many times to count. Kittens learn a LOT of things, like not biting, (how to play nice), grooming, and hunting from their siblings and mother between 6 and 12 weeks. Most of my cats were gotten even younger than that. It is just BETTER for them to stay. My feral mamas always wean around 8 weeks, so yours isn't bad. Yes, she is too young to know proper grooming, but it will come instinctively later. Moms are still cleaning them somewhat at that age. Get some wet wipes for cats and wipe her down when you need to. Make sure you keep her warm, she has plenty of water to drink, feed her as much as she wants and often, play and cuddle with her. You'll be fine, just come here when you have a question!

mashathekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not REALLY bad you got her early, it happens too many times to count. Kittens learn a LOT of things, like not biting, (how to play nice), grooming, and hunting from their siblings and mother between 6 and 12 weeks. Most of my cats were gotten even younger than that. It is just BETTER for them to stay. My feral mamas always wean around 8 weeks, so yours isn't bad. Yes, she is too young to know proper grooming, but it will come instinctively later. Moms are still cleaning them somewhat at that age. Get some wet wipes for cats and wipe her down when you need to. Make sure you keep her warm, she has plenty of water to drink, feed her as much as she wants and often, play and cuddle with her. You'll be fine, just come here when you have a question!
Thank you so much!