Cat Still Sick Vets Don't Know

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Google can be your worst enemy when searching for health related information.

Just keep him comfortable for as long as you can. Palliative care can be both rewarding and emotionally draining. He will have good days and bad days. Speaking from experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Oliver's eating has slowed at home and went to a complete stop last night. It's almost 3 am here and I'm just up worrying.

He ate real good the first day he was home. Then the next morning he would eat only treats. He ate some licks of wet food at noon with a few bites of hard food. Some treats around 2 but by 7 was refusing everything. I gave him a small 7ml syringe of food with his antibiotic bc it says take with food just to coat his stomach. I have tried everything to get him to eat. Microwave, baby food, chicken broth, tuna, all sorts of soupy and patte wet food, I mean you name it I tried.

I assume hes stopping bc either the antibiotics are being hard on his tummy or this infection is winning. I also have him on probiotics the vet recommended and out of desperation I tried this digest homeopet drops I had at 1 am.

Its starting to feel hopeless. I know the feeding tube will be suggested next but I'm out of money. I spent over 6000 on the hospital and several thousand before going back and forth. I am not working right now either due to covid.

I'm at the end of my fight too. I'm so tired of worrying and trying to nurse this cat to its health. I feel defeated.

I'll probably try to syringe feed tomorrow even though I was advised against. Or I will throw the towel in and make the dreaded appointment. I wanted to try to get to Monday for his follow up and to hear about the cultures but I don't know how much more he or I can take.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why did they advise against this? Are they afraid he'll aspirate the food into his lungs?

Can you carefully handfeed, with a popsicle stick?
Yes this is why they advise against and no the popsicle stick doesnt work I tried this.

He ate like 5 treats this morning but he seems not great. I called them waiting to hear a call back.

I tried a hit of the buprenex to see if that would help get his appetite back by taking away pain.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It very well could be the antibiotics causing the loss of appetite. So hard to know. Hoping they get back with you soon to offer some advice since they obviously know more about what's going on and what med's he's on than we do. All I can tell you is that two of my cats could not take Clavamox without seemingly getting worse than they were before. Would not eat anything and I honestly thought they were dying from it. while in the hospital, I'm guessing Oliver was on an IV antibiotic (or two) and now it's in a different form which could be causing this issue as to why he starting eating well there and not at home. Also, what did they feed him there that he ate so well? Have you tried the same thing? (I don't think he's eat anything well at the moment, but it's worth the question)

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's right in the hospital he had IV antibiotics vs the oral. I don't think they can change what hes on bc its specific to the bacteria they think he has. Hes on 2 the other one is simplicef.

He ate a lot of treats today like 10-20 so that made me happy.

The Vet today gave me an anti nausea called zofran. They said might help. So I just dosed that about 2 hours ago.

We spent time outdoors together in my yard. I'm just trying to enjoy the time now bc I dont know how long it might be. He did perk up a lot after being in the sun and outside. Lifted some of his depression from being sick so long. I'll take any good moments!

I did notice some diarrhea leaking from him tonight. I'll talk to the vet tomorrow. Hoping the probiotics help with this. I'm so tired I dont want to be cleaning diarrhea too but honestly if he gets better ill take the diarrhea.

Attachments

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a funny coincidence! Let's see a pic I love a cow cat. He came from outside originally with some feral work I did and there was a whole litter of cow kitties once upon a time. They were so cute I would watch them for hours.

Yes its totally supervised! I dont have a big yard its Brooklyn so it's not a lot. I don't normally let the cats out bc of all the dangers but it felt right today.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Kabby. He is about 11 years old now. He is an oriental cross and came from the SPCA.
20180106_005430.jpg

I only let my guys outside on a flexi and harness. Lots of wildlife here (both predator and prey) and even though it's a dead end street I would hate for them to be hit by a car.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today is a good day for Oliver and I am so happy.

He ate today out of the food bowel by himself! This morning he ate only treats and then this afternoon I started to notice some old naughty behavior! He opened the bathroom door when I was in there and jumped in the shower with me! I turned the water off bc I dont know if he knew what he got himself into....then he went to the food bowel. It was an amazing moment after all of this.

He was in the fridge today jumping on things and following me around. That's my sassy little Oliver!

This cat might just pull through this. Even if not a good day is needed for us both.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is he still getting into mischief like "normal"? Hope so!
He is somewhat! :).I was working in the yard today and did a mini escape when I opened the door to come back in. I don't want outside to be a regular thing so grabbed him right away.

He slept a lot today but his appetite is back and hes eating like a champ. That makes me so happy!! I would love for him to put weight back on he is pretty boney.

He has his vet follow up tomorrow. I am a little scared it's been several good days and I dont want any bad news. I will let you know how his blood work is looking!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver is doing really good. He had his vet visit yesterday. His red blood cells are improving, the fluid on his belly has gone down. All other blood work white cells, and organ functions all good.

His spleen is still enlarged with I guess lymph nodes. But they think it will take time to go down. The vet seems happy with his progress and more hopefully. I feel pretty good bc at home he keeps getting better and is eating constantly.

He goes back in 4 weeks.

I kind of cant believe but after he was close to death I got a kitty miracle and feel so grateful. I know we are not totally out if the woods but I feel so happy that today this is where I am.

This community is amazing and I'm so happy to have this support. Love everyone here.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I would just give an update. Oliver is doing so good! The vet is still being a bit cautious on saying hes out of the woods bc she said she has never encountered this before and doesnt know how it will go but I am very optimistic.

He is back to his normal self. Hunting flies, integrating himself back with my other cats. Causing trouble knocking stuff off counters, drinking out of the bathroom sink, playing and terrorizing my other cats. Hes put on a little weight too. The last time he was at the vet they said the spleen has gone down in size (although still ugly they added). The liquid they found in his belly has gone down to almost nothing and the lymph nodes shrunk.

Hes still getting a couple antibiotics 2 times a day and will most likely be on for a bit sounds like months...but he's off all appetite stimulants and nausea stuff.

Just wanted to tell everyone bc I was petting him this morning thinking how happy he is now he feels better.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures! Hes still got weird shaved spots from the hospital and vet visits. The last one is his brother its just funny bc he was sitting like this the other day hehe! Hope everyone's babies are doing good and have a great day!

Attachments