Cat still not eating/drinking after 2 injections

Ashrd88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! This post might be a bit long so I apologize in advance for that and for rambling or mistakes/mispellings/errors. Please bear with me! I’ve had limited sleep and I feel like I’m losing my best friend.

A little back story. I have a 6 year old orange male named Dice. He's a bit of a nervous cat in general. Scared of several things, new people, noises, ceiling fans, and changes in his environment to name a few. But he is generally a very vocal, joyful, playful, incredibly sweet loving boy. About 4 weeks ago we had some flooring in a bathroom in our house changed. He didn’t seem to care at all. Not a place he frequents so that could be why. He hid while it was being worked on for the few hours and then came out and acted like nothing had happened. Then Thursday of this week we were supposed to have some different flooring changed. Bigger changes. Scarier changes for Dice. The flooring that was supposed to be changed was in the kitchen which meant everything had to be moved out of it. This is a place that Dice frequents. Furniture started being moved Wednesday afternoon/night. They didn’t end up showing up and now that’s going to happen next Wednesday.
About a year and a half ago I thought Dice had a UTI because he was showing typical signs in that he would stand in the litter box and try to pee, cry out, and sometimes nothing would come out. Other times it was a tiny amount. The vet couldn’t get a urine sample but suspected it wasn’t a UTI— thought it was behavioral because of his fear and prescribed Gabapentin. He’s been taking it since with little to no issue. (Occasionally he would refuse to take his meds because he’s the pickiest thing and go a few days without) he has done mostly well with it, it can make him a little sleepy at times but no other issues.

Wednesday evening I start noticing Dice acting a little different and here’s the weeks timeline:

• Sunday/Monday - Last time he ate a full meal?

• Tuesday morning - took most of meds in milk

• Wednesday morning - last poop in AM, no pee, didn’t eat treats in AM or food all day. Wednesday night threw up foam 4 times. ate 4 treats a few hours after vomiting. And he just seemed off to me.

• Thursday morning threw up foam then ate 2 treats. No food, no water all day. Threw up early afternoon 3 times. Vet did a full blood panel and complete physical exam and said he looks good physically, his insides all felt normal as far as the vet could tell, no signs of dehydration, his temperature was normal, breathing and heart all sounded good. They told me to try to keep him eating something everyday even if it’s just a few treats to avoid fatty liver disease and milk was okay to try to give his meds in. They weren’t concerned about water intake or dehydration. He hid for several hours after the vet. Refused milk in the PM after vet visit. Would smell and lick food or treats but wouldn’t eat. Finally Ate 2 treats. Talked to the birds outside the window. And still no water. Threw up in the evening.

• Friday morning - popped Gabapentin down his throat and he threw it up within 5 minutes along with the treats eaten the night before. refused treats, milk, food, water. Vet sent a message that blood work was normal and asked for an update. After the update they requested I bring him back in for X-rays. I agreed and also asked about something for the vomiting since he seemed interested in food when he smelled it but was vomiting so wouldn’t eat. Went to the vet late morning. They opted for no X-rays and just injections. He was given Cerenia Injection, Dexamethasone injection, and 2 cans Hill's Feline i/d chicken/veg Stew to take home with us. Instructed to pop Gabapentin down his throat 2x daily until all construction is finished in our house. Seemed to have a bit of energy after the vet visit. Peed early afternoon. Gagged over and/or refused various foods offered. Friday evening he peed and ate several treats, drank a little milk, no water still, ate a few pieces of cat food, energy decreased again, but it was after he successfully kept a popped Gabapentin in a pill pocket down so that could contribute.

• Saturday(today 5/27) morning - peed 6am, refused everything in the morning. Popped another Gabapentin in a pill pocket in the AM. Saturday evening had a little milk, 5 pieces of dry food. But he seems more lethargic and out of it. Again, he’s had the 2 injections as well as 2 Gabapentin pills about 14 hours apart so that could be contributing. But this is the first day that he seems to be in pain to me. Ears are almost always pulled to the sides slightly, has stopped grooming (did clean his mouth after eating and drinking milk), seems interested in food, play, birds outside occasionally but doesn’t seem to feel well enough or have enough energy to engage. Sometimes acts like he wants to get up and go somewhere but then just doesn’t move. Occasionally perks up and looks ang for or treats, might lick them, but then lays back down. And he still hasn’t had water.

At this point I can’t say whether or not he’s had a solid meal since Monday. And I don’t know when the last time he drank something other than a few licks of milk was so I honestly have no idea how he’s still peeing or was hydrated at the vet Thursday/Friday. I know the steroid injection can cause increased ruination and thirst but again, he’s not drinking. I’ve had a camera by his food and water since Friday morning and he has not drank in that time. It’s possible he drank before the vet Thursday afternoon sometime while I was at work but I can’t be certain. I read a few posts on here about cats who were acting similar with possible UTIs or pancreatitis. Today is Saturday and Monday is Memorial Day in the US so it’s a holiday. I have an appointment scheduled Tuesday to do X-rays if he’s still not acting normal. I don’t have any paperwork stating what treatment has already been given or what the blood work said. My fault for not asking for those to be printed, but I don’t want him to be in pain if I can help it or be suffering or to get any worse so an emergency vet is an option. If this is all stress then getting him there and the visit will just cause more unnecessary stress. My gut is telling me it’s not stress and something is wrong with him. But he is my life and I have been an absolute mess and haven’t slept in days so is it just me assuming the worst?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like what happened to my cat Maggie except for the throwing up. An xray would help and possibly a step farther,ultrasound. I changed vets because the first one would just do cerenia and injections,. Stress can be one cause of a struitive crystals so a urinalysis would help. Hope he feels better. Has he lost weight? I give my cat fortiflora and an appetite stimulant

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to feed him canned. If you are in the us,buy some weruva or fancy feast classics. Tasty! And churu tubes or tiki sticks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashrd88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try to feed him canned. If you are in the us,buy some weruva or fancy feast classics. Tasty! And churu tubes or tiki sticks
Thanks for the reply. What was the diagnoses for Maggie?
I ended up just taking him to an emergency vet. They did X-rays and everything looked fine. At this point he’s dehydrated and they thought the best option was to leave him over night so they can give him fluids and get a urine sample. She did scan his bladder and said she saw what could be crystals. They ordered some more blood tests and are going to continue the Cerenia (anti nausea) and add an appetite stimulant. They said if nothing improves over night then they’d do an ultrasound in the morning. I’m still at just such a loss. Everything seems fine. But obviously it’s not.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie has ibd. He thinks she had a flare up. I also have a pet scale I used when my old cat Josie had triiditis

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress can cause all kinds of issues, such as UTIs and pancreatitis. If he's not eating, I would ask them to run the test for pancreatitis. My boy is on the downhill side of a pancreatitis flare and his symptoms were decreased eating (would eat dry crunchies, but not his rx wet food), generally not himself, more nervous and unable to settle down. We thought it was an IBD flare, but all that was working and he was eating, just not his normal portion size. The vet said that basically, if the pancreas is not happy and it's inflamed, then all the gastro tract and liver are inflamed. If the pancreas isn't happy, nothing's happy is what she told us. He is on a round of prednisone to reduce inflammation, ondansetron for nausea, and he was prescribed Mirataz for appetite stimulant, be we didn't have to use that. Additionally, my guy is also easily stressed. We run ComfortZone or Feliway diffusers for him 24/7.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did anyone talk about a possible bowel obstruction? Is he the kind of cat that eats things he shouldn’t? With the flooring, was it all cleaned up before he had access to the area?