Cat still hiding after 1 month

rileylovescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I newly adopted a 2 year old male cat about a month ago. He was living on the street for about a year and a half and a foster took him in, socialized him, and then I adopted him. I live in a one bedroom apartment and kept him in my room for the first week, and he hid under my bed the entire time. He would not move but would come to the edge so I could scratch him. After a week I ended up opening the door and he ran out and hid in a box in the living room. I have kept the door to my room closed since so he wouldn't hide under my bed again, as I read you should block off the unders of furniture to avoid hiding there so they adjust quicker. I am seeing mixed stuff on this and wonder if it stressed him out more to not be able to go in my room...
He still is hiding a month later. He freaks out if I see him out and immediately runs to hide. I give him tons of treats, food, and love and he purrs like crazy around me, but is still acting really nervous. I feel like a month is somewhat of a long time for him to be hiding, especially when he acts comfortable around me when he is in his hiding spot. His foster said he loved other cats and now he isn't around any other cats, so I am wondering if this is a problem as well.
Any feedback is appreciated. I want him to start getting comfortable and I am willing to do nearly anything!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
a month is somewhat of a long time for him to be hiding,
Hi - welcome!
Maybe not such a long time, since there are possibly things in his past that could be hindering his open freedom. Hang in there with him and continue doing what you're doing :) Maybe add some Cat Music now and then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rileylovescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - welcome!
Maybe not such a long time, since there are possibly things in his past that could be hindering his open freedom. Hang in there with him and continue doing what you're doing :) Maybe add some Cat Music now and then.
Thanks so much! I appreciate any advice :)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there with him, and just talk to him…low down on his level, not too close. If you get bored w/ the one sided conversation, read something to him aloud! Every single time I’ve won a cat over, it’s been due to just patiently chatting with them, giving them space, letting them come to me (not me to them) to sniff my finger tip, all at their own pace. One month isn’t a long time, but, you also don’t want to get him used to being a hidey cat, and the only way to break that vibe is chit chat….sports, weather, you name it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats dont tend to trust all at once. Its not unusual for them to have a special spot where they will accept affection first. A lot of times its where the owner is particularly quiet and chill; other times its where they like to sleep. I have a theory about working to gradual expansion. Years ago we found Rocky in our yard. The first place she really aggressively sought affection was the bed. She would crawl on my chest and accept petting. So I came up with a strategy -- I would lie on the bed at additional times, and make a call noise, and tap my chest. Then I would lie on the couch in the TV room, and tap my chest. From there, I was able to use the call noise on the couch while sitting, and tap the couch. Eventually you could no longer tell she had been a stray.

So try calling her to her hiding spot if she isn't there, make a call noise, tap the spot, maybe shake the treat bag and give a treat. Then try and use that noise somewhere similar. I can't guarranty that this sort of strategy will work for you, but its worth a shot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd take what the foster said with a grain of salt. Oftentimes people will say something just to get the pet adopted into a home :dunno:

TCS has articles on how to help cats feel more comfortable in a new home. It will take time so have patience.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You don’t know what this guy went through on the street. He may have had experience with people trying to catch him or even harm him. As a result he may be exceptionally cautious about the intent of the new people in his life and not willing at the present to risk being out in the open.

I think It’s fine to let him hide wherever he feels comfortable, including under your bed. He needs to explore everything, including your bedroom ( and you while you sleep) so he can figure out he is in a safe place. When he is ready he will come out while you are present. My Willow hid for months, first in her safe room and then inside the back of the sofa. I only saw her for seconds as she tore from one hiding spot to another. Then one morning I came out and she was lounging on the kitchen table. Didn’t want me coming near her, but she made it clear she was done hiding. Not every scared cat takes as long as her but they just need to feel safe at their own pace.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I newly adopted a 2 year old male cat about a month ago. He was living on the street for about a year and a half and a foster took him in, socialized him, and then I adopted him. I live in a one bedroom apartment and kept him in my room for the first week, and he hid under my bed the entire time. He would not move but would come to the edge so I could scratch him. After a week I ended up opening the door and he ran out and hid in a box in the living room. I have kept the door to my room closed since so he wouldn't hide under my bed again, as I read you should block off the unders of furniture to avoid hiding there so they adjust quicker. I am seeing mixed stuff on this and wonder if it stressed him out more to not be able to go in my room...
He still is hiding a month later. He freaks out if I see him out and immediately runs to hide. I give him tons of treats, food, and love and he purrs like crazy around me, but is still acting really nervous. I feel like a month is somewhat of a long time for him to be hiding, especially when he acts comfortable around me when he is in his hiding spot. His foster said he loved other cats and now he isn't around any other cats, so I am wondering if this is a problem as well.
Any feedback is appreciated. I want him to start getting comfortable and I am willing to do nearly anything!
Just hang in there. It took my 2 new cats from pet supply plus almost 6 months to get normal.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I adopted a one year old female from a rescue she hid for two months. Luckily it was in my room where I had food and litterbox set up. I just let her go. Before too long she'd come out when I turned the light out at night to eat and use the litterbox. Pretty soon she would come out at night and one night, finally, finally, finally, she actually left the room. I would talk to her the whole time I was in the room so she got used to my voice. I started wondering why I had gotten a cat, since I didn't really have a cat. Eventually she would come up on the bed for brief periods of time. After about two months she would start hanging around during the day and even sleep on the bed.

She's seven now. Still has vampire tendencies and is shy around strangers. Loves to be petted and to boss me around. She's a stone cold killer of varmints and although she isn't a cuddlebug, definitely comes looking for together time when I'm relaxing in the evening.

Give your baby time and don't force anything. No dragging him out to socialize, it won't work. He'll come around. Cats are curious and nosy. He'll become a member of the family in his own good time. Cats.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hang in there with him, and just talk to him…low down on his level, not too close. If you get bored w/ the one sided conversation, read something to him aloud! Every single time I’ve won a cat over, it’s been due to just patiently chatting with them, giving them space, letting them come to me (not me to them) to sniff my finger tip, all at their own pace. One month isn’t a long time, but, you also don’t want to get him used to being a hidey cat, and the only way to break that vibe is chit chat….sports, weather, you name it.
Just like you said!

My cat hid like this for about two weeks after we got her. Her hidey place was under a piece of furniture in my sewing room which was perfect because I'd work on my projects and talk to her the whole time. Every now and then I'd peer into her hiding spot and try coax her out, but she wouldn't budge. But I just talked and talked and talked (I shamelessly talked "baby talk" to her, and I still do.) Eventually she'd come out, but she'd keep her distance from me, and I'd get down on the floor - on her level - and offer treats and speak soothingly to her. The first time I was able to touch her, I was sitting in a chair and when she came near I dangled my hand down so she could sniff my fingers and I was finally able to just barely touch her - then a little more each time until I could actually pet her. It took a LOT of patience, but I did win that cat over, and now I'm her favorite human. Today she never lets me out of her sight and plops down next to me - or on top of me - in bed at night. No pet I've had ever loved me like this cat does.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hidey holes are ok if they meet two criteria-
1) You can easily reach your cat in case of emergency. No broomsticks, no arm stretching.
2) It gives your cat a good view of its territory. If it offers only a small view, it keeps your cat feeling insecure and harms its self confidence