Cat still hasn’t given birth yet

Catmom330

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, so there’s a cat in my neighborhood that my bf’s family kind of took in. They’ve never had a cat before and before they could get her fixed she got pregnant with another cat in the neighborhood (I saw it). I don’t remember exactly when that happened but it’s been at least 60 days now and for the past couple days we’ve been thinking she was going to give birth. On Sunday she had discharge/blood coming out and would lick it a lot. We thought it would be about 24 hours—no kittens. It’s now Wednesday and her belly looks like it has dropped and she has slight yellow discharge coming out still, and she seems to be nesting. She’s being kept inside but I don’t think she knows how to use a litter box so that’s been a challenge.
I would love to be able to take her to a vet to figure this out but my bf’s family does not have extra money to spend on a cat right now and I don’t either.
Should she be in labor by now? How likely is it that she has an infection? I can post pics if that will help. I’m really worried about her.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The feline gestation period is about 58-72 days long. 60-65 being average. Here's a link that can help with the discharge: Vaginal Discharge in Pregnant Cats. Before labor, she'll be uninterested in her food, restless, her temp will drop, and the kittens will be moving around a LOT in her womb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom330

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The feline gestation period is about 58-72 days long. 60-65 being average. Here's a link that can help with the discharge: Vaginal Discharge in Pregnant Cats. Before labor, she'll be uninterested in her food, restless, her temp will drop, and the kittens will be moving around a LOT in her womb.
Thanks! That article is really helpful. She’s been eating normally and I haven’t noticed a ton of movement in her belly so maybe she’s not as close as I thought.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! I'm glad that the article helped. Some pregnant cats that will eat up until right before the first kitten comes. Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The discharge and other signs you are seeing are all normal in the days prior to labor and delivery. Cat pregnancy generally runs between 63-68 days. She is very close!

Here are links to TCS articles that will help:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

In the meantime, make calls to area shelters and your local SPCA to set up a spay appointment for mom when the kittens are 6-8 weeks old. Mom should stay 100% inside and away from intact males until she is spayed or she will mate again. Also inquire with the shelters about spay/neuter, vaccinating, and placing the kittens in good homes.

Also, putting 2 or 3 boxes around and one with sand or dirt instead of litter may help her learn. Put her in and verbally reassure her that the boxes are hers to use.

Keep us posted! 😊