Cat Stealing Sibling's Food

cleoandsuki87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I originally found this site after dealing with some non-recognition aggression a few months back. Thankfully that issue has fully resolved and the cats are back to acting like normal. But, the whole thing started because I came back from out of town, noticed one wasn't eating at all, and then freaked out and took her to the vet. She ended up eating literally as soon as we got back from the vet :rolleyes: and then of course that started all of the non-recognition stuff (which I had never heard of, or I would have NEVER taken her without being 100% sure she needed to go). I got in the habit of feeding the cats in separate rooms, because feeding time was the last hold out for aggressive incidents. Even when things went back totally to normal, I just kept it up because I know Cleo is a slower eater.

I have to go out of town again next week. I wanted to make sure the cats were back in the habit of eating in the same room, so I've been trying to feed both in their "cat room" again. And it is not working. Suki scarfs down her food in 2 seconds flat, and then immediately starts eating out of Cleo's bowl. Cleo just backs away and lets her. This is so shocking to me because I would have guessed Cleo is more dominant, but I guess that's only with humans and not in the "cat world." Suki is an extremely skittish cat who is afraid of everything (especially people- but any loud noise, etc.). Of course when I am there, it's no big deal. I shoo Suki away and Cleo goes back to eating.

Here's the problem. Both cats are afraid of the pet sitter. They hide under the couch any time she's here. So the pet sitter leaves out the food, and then they eat when she leaves. So it's not a possibility for her to feed them separately. I am terrified that Suki is just going to eat all of the food and that poor Cleo won't get any. It's only a full 3 days that I'll be gone this time, but still. I know fatty liver is a concern if they don't eat. I already have the pet sitter leave extra because since they're only getting fed once per day, I feel badly thinking they'll go hungry. Do I have her leave out even more, hoping at some point Suki will feel full enough to leave the food alone? I also considered keeping them in separate rooms while I'm gone, but that seems horribly cruel. A huge reason I got two cats was so that they would have each other when I'm out of town. My whole family lives in another state so it's a minimum of 4x per year. I felt so badly leaving my previous solo cat all by himself those times.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully someone will have better ideas but can you leave them at the vets?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long before you leave? It is possible to get an automatic feeder that opens only with a specific collar. A large local pet store might have one, or they can be ordered (the collar comes with) online. I know Amazon had them the last time I looked. Cleo would get the feeder and the collar, and if Suki chased her off, the feeder would close again.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have both my girls with microchip feeders. They only open to the specific microchip. Fancy got the hang of it in a week; it took Delilah about 3 weeks to get fully comfortable with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0UIPTY/?tag=thecatsite

I actually have the "connected" version. It costs more, but I can see when each cat is eating and about how much. Basically it only opens to the designated microchip (or tag - they give you one with each feeder). You can also color code bowls. I didn't at first, but once Fancy had to go on a special diet I did so I don't mix up their bowls.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the sitter? My only advice is to have them over feed the cats by one or two portions (& tell them why you requested it.) That way even if she hogs it all; the other cat gets a portion. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Maybe try that before you go & see if it works?

Long term a slow feeder the food their or those automatic feeders that open for the pet’s collar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleoandsuki87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I didn't know they had ones that worked with their microchips; I'll definitely look into that. I'd seen the ones with collars before, but I don't want like the idea of them wearing collars. I think they're uncomfortable for the cat and I don't want a safety issue if it gets caught on something. Anxious me would totally worry about the thing malfunctioning/not opening when I'm out of town. But, I could always have the pet feeder put some food in those things and some food just out, I guess. It's next week, so it's definitely not enough time for them to adjust to that, but might be good to get it/get them adjusted when I get back, before my summer trip.

The past two nights I have tried putting wet and dry food out at the same time, and that helped somewhat. With four bowls of food out, there is enough to distract Suki and Cleo ends up being able to eat. So I think for this trip I'm just going to hope it's okay for the pet sitter to put out extra.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I splurged and got the connected version and I'm glad I did.

The SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder Connect from Sure Petcare

It sends you messages of when and approximately how much they eat. The app has more details. Also they are battery powered. The food also stays pretty moist.

Screenshot_20220311-075225_Pandora.jpg

You may only need 1 to keep the food thief out of the other cat's bowl. My original problem was if Fancy walked away and left food Delilah would eat it. Conversely Fancy would so the same. But Delilah is overweight and would start problems if Fancy was at her bowl. Fancy got the hang of it in about a week. It took Delilah around 3 weeks of training modes to get her used to it.

Now that Fancy has to be on a restricted diet it keeps her from getting into what Delilah eats.

I also have a timed kibble drop feeder with a camera that I can control via app. It's filled with Fancy's kibble which Delilah eats if she is hungry enough. If I peek in and see a hungry kitty at the camera looking for food I can drop some. It's auto set for the 2am feeding.