Cat starts to run and play, but then stops and hides

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have experience with this? My cat used to play fetch and be active and jump and play, now she mostly lays around. She does play but she needs exercise as she's putting on pounds. I'd like her to fetch her ball again and run and be active. She will start out but no longer brings back to the ball. She will start out playing but then run back into her kitty tree or other spot. Is there something I did wrong why she wants to hide out rather than continue running and playing?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could she be hiding so she can ambush her "prey"? Neko-chan likes to hide in her tunnel or behind the furniture then rush and pounce on the toy.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you free feed? Cat play is hunt practice. Some full happy cats feel no need to practice. Slightly hungry cats are often more active and interested in play.

Have you ruled out any health issues?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would ask the vet to check for health issues. She may have pain.

Will she play any other games with you?

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely have her checked out. Arthritis was my first thought and it can be almost impossible to spot without a vet exam.

Although it could be solely the weight gain. One of my cats does fewer acrobatics and becomes a little less active when he gains weight. Losing a little bit of weight helped him become spunky again (and now we're more strict with his diet and treats).

But it could also just be boredom. One of my cats needs a rotation of toys or else he gets very bored. He LOVES anything new, even if it's a new version of the toy he's bored with. I have a drawer full of backups of his three favorite toys and I toss one out when the current one becomes old news.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Will she play any other games with you?
She plays otherwise but yes I guess it wouldn’t hurt to get her checked out by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could she be hiding so she can ambush her "prey"? Neko-chan likes to hide in her tunnel or behind the furniture then rush and pounce on the toy.
I’m familiar with the hide to pounce however my cat is like hiding and stops playing totally. She used to run, jump and play much more a few years ago. She plays but I’d like her to run and jump around for the exercise, she’s not doing that much anymore.