Cat starting to drool when purring

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Just need a little reassurance. My 7 year old rescued barn cat has recently started to drool when she purrs. I checked her teeth and gums and they seem fine, however her gums are black so it’s hard to tell. She’s only drooling when she purrs no other time. She’s eating and drinking just fine. No changes to food. Am I panicking for no reason? I mean she is a little older now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy has always drooled a little especially when he's sitting in a window sill lol, but for him that's normal.

When was she in to a vet last?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m just worried cause it just started up and she a very affectionate girl so she already get carried away during cuddle. For instance my face is absolutely covered in the drool now and before it was just from the licks. I don’t mind saving up money for drool towels lol but I just think it’s strange it started up so abruptly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, get her checked. It won't hurt a thing. But I'm willing to bet that the answer is just that, now that she trusts you utterly, it feels so good!!! I've had several cats who drooled when purring, especially when stroking was involved. Yes, drool towels help. Baptism via cat drool can be messy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that does it when he needs and purrs as well. And he was a home raised kitten adopted out at a proper age, so its not necessarily anything to do with separation from momma. Just something some cats do.

Its fairly gross. Thankfully, its the wife that is always cold and has the blanket on her lap, so I don't see it much. I also think he may have stopped or be doing it less?

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten drools like a little river when he's purring and kneading during a serious cuddle session. I was worried too but my vet told me that it was pretty normal, but of course a check up never hurts. He also started drooling pretty young.