Cat started pooping outside the litterbox

Halina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have a 2 year old, female, spayed cat. About 2 months ago she started pooping in the living room. We use cat genie for litter box and occasionally she poops outside it. Now she decided that couch and carpet in the living room are better spots. Any advice on how to make he stop?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Welcome!

Try a different litter box or two in different locations, and additionally different litter.

Also, has she been to the veterinarian lately?

An enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle will help with clean up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Echoing Furballsmom Furballsmom .

If there is any correlation to the cat genie and her pooping outside the box, at a minimum, I would give your cat a second option - a normal litter box and see if that stops the issue. Some cats can be pretty picky about their 'potty'.

Most cleaning for urine can accomplish the same thing for poop. So, if Nature's Miracle doesn't help, try some of the things in these TCS articles. Also, another article about litterbox issues in general.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, THIRDING the recommendation to try a different type of litter box. Occasionally, an automated box will begin a cleaning cycle just a wee bit quickly, and spook a cat into taking its business elsewhere!