Cat Started High Peeing

karrotlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Ever since we switched from Feline Pine pellet litter to Dr Elsey's clumping litter our cat Bagheera has started high peeing. He always starts out squatting like before, but as he starts peeing he will raise his bum slowly until he is peeing right over the edge of the litterbox. Does anyone know why he might have started doing this? He is neutered. He is only 14 months old and has no problem doing acrobatic stunts around the house, so I don't think it's an arthritis sort of issue. Thanks in advance!

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same problem here. I've resigned myself to dealing with it by switching to covered litterboxes :(

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not switch back to his old litter first? Then if that fails make a new litter box out of one of those big plastic storage boxes with a lid? You can cut a hole/square on top for the cat to get in & out of the box.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why not switch back to his old litter first? Then if that fails make a new litter box out of one of those big plastic storage boxes with a lid? You can cut a hole/square on top for the cat to get in & out of the box.
Good advice! I have been using those plastic storage boxes for years. I cut the hole in the side and never needed the lid. I use Dr. Elsy's and my last 2 cats have this problem. I am wondering if this litter is a problem somehow.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz (female) has always peed standing up. I tried a cover litter box, but the urine still can leak between the top and bottom. So I bought the biggest and tallest plastic container I could find. It helped a lot.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt it's the litter. Our tabby seems like he just forgot how to squat. Starts out low and up his bum goes. UGH!!
We use a fairly tall Rubbermaid Tote with a 10" diameter hole cut in the center of the lid.
He knew how to get in and out of the box the day we made it. No litter gets thrown out. Most anything on his feet when he exits is left on the lid. No pee outside of the box.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe its something that only happens when he pees. Like theres a smell when he pees and he has to go higher to avoid it.