Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Cat Started High Peeing

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by karrotlover, Sep 5, 2017.

1. karrotlover

karrotlover Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Jul 5, 2017
    Seattle
    Hi. Ever since we switched from Feline Pine pellet litter to Dr Elsey's clumping litter our cat Bagheera has started high peeing. He always starts out squatting like before, but as he starts peeing he will raise his bum slowly until he is peeing right over the edge of the litterbox. Does anyone know why he might have started doing this? He is neutered. He is only 14 months old and has no problem doing acrobatic stunts around the house, so I don't think it's an arthritis sort of issue. Thanks in advance!

2. caitini

caitini TCS Member Adult Cat

Sep 21, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Same problem here. I've resigned myself to dealing with it by switching to covered litterboxes :(

3. danteshuman

danteshuman TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 27, 2017
    California
    Why not switch back to his old litter first? Then if that fails make a new litter box out of one of those big plastic storage boxes with a lid? You can cut a hole/square on top for the cat to get in & out of the box.

susanm9006 purraised this.

4. riley1

riley1 TCS Member Super Cat

Jul 11, 2014
    Greendale, Wi
    Good advice! I have been using those plastic storage boxes for years. I cut the hole in the side and never needed the lid. I use Dr. Elsy's and my last 2 cats have this problem. I am wondering if this litter is a problem somehow.

5. ritz

ritz TCS Member Veteran

Apr 2, 2010
    Annapolis, MD
    Ritz (female) has always peed standing up. I tried a cover litter box, but the urine still can leak between the top and bottom. So I bought the biggest and tallest plastic container I could find. It helped a lot.

6. Ceracera

Ceracera TCS Member Adult Cat

Aug 12, 2017

7. basscat

basscat TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 29, 2015
    I doubt it's the litter. Our tabby seems like he just forgot how to squat. Starts out low and up his bum goes. UGH!!
    We use a fairly tall Rubbermaid Tote with a 10" diameter hole cut in the center of the lid.
    He knew how to get in and out of the box the day we made it. No litter gets thrown out. Most anything on his feet when he exits is left on the lid. No pee outside of the box.

danteshuman and DreamerRose purraised this.

8. Ceracera

Ceracera TCS Member Adult Cat

Aug 12, 2017
    Maybe its something that only happens when he pees. Like theres a smell when he pees and he has to go higher to avoid it.