Cat started biting, cause for concern?

koolimy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I originally posted a question about a stray that I was taking care of (See link).
This guy's comfort level seems to have improved a lot, where he doesn't seem to exhibit the anxiety I previously saw.
However, he has started to bite me (very softly), which has me worried a bit.

For some reason, he has a strong fixation on my hands. He's constantly looking at my hands while I am interacting with him.
Also, when I sit down so that he can get in my lap, he rubs his face vigorously on my hands, sometimes licks my hands, and then bites them.
The bites have almost always been soft, but I'm worried that these soft bites could lead to harder bites down the road.

Are these the so-called "love bites?" Or is he starting to regard my hands as toys? Could this be attention seeking behavior?
I don't play with him using toys, as he has almost 0 interest in the toys I have. He is a mainly outdoor cat who comes to my apartment for food, affection, and sleep. I have tried playing w/ some toys, but he quickly loses interest, or he puts 0 effort into playing lol. I also usually am not petting him when he bites, so I don't think it's petting aggression.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a similar problem, so I will be interested in the replies to your post. My older adopted tabby bites and scratches. She's getting better but it's still a serious problem.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be many things. Everything from just learning not to nibble human or irritated teeth or gums to the issue I have with two of my adult feral rescues. It’s the way they ask me for more food. Ferals are often concerned about food availability. These two watched me dole out food and I used food to help socialize them. This is their way of showing me that they want food. If your kitty is healthy and has had a vet check then try extra food.
If it seems to be aggression or hurts you, a calm no and removing your hands can help him understand. Play should not be with your hands if he decides to be playful. One of my two likes to play with clothing he associates with me. He will not play with toys so I have given him an old shirt with my scent. He does play with that but will still come and gently put open mouth on my fingers to ask for food. Please keep us updated. Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koolimy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if it is related to food. It seems that it always happens when my hands are near him, either to pet him or sometimes just there because he wants to get in my lap. Today I pet him from behind his head and he turned around and bit me. He also bit me when he was in my lap and I had my hands close to him. He regularly seems to explore the hand by rubbing his head on it, smelling it, sometimes licking it, and it ends in a bite.

I have seen that he bites objects quite a lot. I have tried to brush him and he bit the brush, and I have cleaned his face with a warm damp towel, and he bites the towel.

Hopefully it doesn't escalate, but the frequency of his bites are a bit worrisome to me.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lick, lick, bite is something cats do with each other quite a bit. It usually seems to be an invitation to play. I would place this somewhere in either "love bites" or "play biting". If its always soft and there isn't grabbing the hands and kicking as well, its probably love bites. Play biting tends to be more vigrorous -- either really latching on or latching on and kicking. Its ok to discourage love bites if it makes you uncomfortable, but not necessary, whereas play biting should always be trained away. If you want to discourage it, I use a loud "no!" for this.

If its love bites, I don't know that there is a risk of permanently encouraging play bites just from allowing love bites, but certainly be careful not to pet the cat while its doing this if that leads to a more vigorous reaction (which it might). Young playful cats seem to transition from love bites to play very easily, which can be problematic. Transitioning in a single session I mean, not necessarily a permanent switch. But still, it can be an issue if the cat is doing its thing and you want your hand back. And again, if you are uncomfortable, just discourage it. Licking & love bites aren't for everyone.

Play biting tends to becomes a real problem if you encourage rough play with your hands. It can crop up even if you don't do this, but I wouldn't worry about it if the love bites aren't otherwise a problem for you, and you can get your hand back when you need too without the cat automatically going into more aggressive play biting mode.

Eh, I know I'm too long winded. Sorry. Ask if you have questions.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

koolimy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies! And I appreciate the detailed reply, so no worries about being long winded!
My interaction yesterday seems to indicate that his biting might actually be related to food.
Yesterday, I washed my hands with soap before interacting with the cat. Usually I interact with him after he has eaten dinner, so I handle his cat food and maybe some of the smell is still on my hands.

Nonetheless, yesterday he didn't seem to be that interested in my hands! He did rub his face on my hands but didn't really explore further. Maybe he was licking my hands previously because he smelled some of his food on them, and wanted to get more! This cat is super into food so it kind of makes sense.

Hopefully this is the answer to the biting!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds possible. Cats definitely notice if you have food residue on your hands. Just grabbing a handful of dry cat food doesn't seem to produce a reaction, but handling other foods definitely could.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today I pet him from behind his head and he turned around and bit me.

I have seen that he bites objects quite a lot. I have tried to brush him and he bit the brush, and I have cleaned his face with a warm damp towel, and he bites the towel.
We had one girl who would give a gentle warning bite when she had enough petting. I don't get the impression that is the message your guy is giving. I think he enjoys it and is expressing pleasure. Cats play and love rough. Stop moving when he puts teeth on you and take your hand away when he lets go. Don't pet him again for about 5 minutes. He will learn if he wants the good stuff he can't use his teeth.

I use 2 brushes. One to brush with and one to hold near their face so they can chew or rub on it. Otherwise mine would never get brushed because they want to chew on it.

He sound like a real sweetheart.