cat stalking

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a feral named Charley (yes she is a girl) that has been staying in my bathroom. She comes to the door and use to come out into the other rooms. Now she may run across the hall and back and that is it.  I have two other cats names Bella and Sophie. Bella gets along with Charley and they chase each other into the bathroom because I assume she feels safer there in her little condo.  But that really isn't the big problem. My  cat Sophie won't even let her come out of the bathroom. She sleeps outside the door and if she sees her she chases her back into her house.  She will go into the bathroom to get a drink of water but Charley  has to be in her house. She is as far back in there as she can get. How can I get Sophie to quit stalking Charley? Its been almost a year for Charley and I can pet her and go in and out and no problems, but I am trying to get her to come out into the house so I have my bathroom back. I need Charley to be calmer so I can pick her up. She gets stressed when Sophie is  chasing her. I can sit in the bathroom when Sophie is getting a drink and Charley will sit beside me. I think she feels safe when I am in there.  This feral has come along way since I got her.  But I need to figure out how to get my cat to quit stalking her. I know she would come out if this cat would leave her alone. Any suggestions out there?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@buffy2011

Did you do proper introductions between the cats?  Your residents cats knew her through the door, but did you do scent swapping, site swapping, eating near each other, etc...?  If not, i would restart and do proper introductions.  I have a few sites with great info as well as a video from Jackson Galaxy.  Even though the cats have been in the same house together for a year, it doesn't mean anything.  Cats have strong personalities and your residents cats territory is being threatened by Charley.  Introductions are a slow process.  Some cats get along great when just thrown together, but the majority have issues and it can take awhile.  I brought a stray/feral into my home last May.  It took one year for he and my resident cat to make peace.  I had to redo introductions and it took months, but it was worth it.  Here is a link to one of the intro sites.  Let me know if you want the rest.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Here's the video too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shadow Rescue thank you for your information and I will take any other info you have. My feral (Charley) has claws and I am still a little afraid of her. She lets me pet her and comes around but she is still jumpy. Sophie is the one I am trying to get to quit chasing her. Sophie is a hyper cat that won't really let you pet her unless she wants to be petted. Sophie always chases Bella also. Sophie has her own personality. She doesn't seem to get along with anyone. That is why I just figured if Charley would just ignore Sophie and go about her business things would be better. That is how Bella does it. She just ignores Sophie and when she wants to aggravate her she chases her because that is what she does to her. So that makes Sophie know she isn't going to take her crap. But I will try the blanket thing.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are a few more sites with info in introducing cats. 

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

I have also used a wooden screen door from Lowes ($20) and attached it to the door frame with tension rods ($4).  I put a baby gate in the door way for extra protection.  This allowed the cats a safe way to sniff and see each other.  You can rotate who is behind the screen door.  I have pictures of the set up if you want to see.  I also used a large dog cage.  One of my cats was willing to go inside.  I covered it on 3 sides with a sheet and allowed the cats to sniff.  I then brought out a long shoe string and the cats played together safely.  I then rewarded with plain cooked chicken.  They learned to like each other over fun play and food rewards!!  The association changed from aggression to peace once they realized that the other meant good food/snacks! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying the blanket thing and also the one article says to use a sock . I like that idea also. This is a really different situation than normal. Charley was a feral. She comes up to me, eats by me, and lets me pet her. She doesn't seem to come when I call her name. She isn't afraid of my other cat Bella.  November  2014 will be a year since I got her to do this. She goes into other rooms in the house when she feels Sophie isn't around. Sophie is usually sleeping in another room. Charley will run back and forth from room to room. She has been out into the house but lately is the problem I am talking about. Sophie got wind that she comes out of the bathroom so now she waits for her and chases her. Even when she sees her sitting in the middle of the bathroom. Sophie will go into the bathroom to get a drink of water but then Charley goes into her little house. If Charley would just go nose to nose with her I think it would stop. Because that is how Bella solved her problem, she didn't let Sophie bully her. But anyhow I will try the sock thing and see. My problem is Charley is still feral in a way and there is no picking her up or changing rooms. I tried to move her out of the bathroom because I was having company one day and that didn't go well. So she got to stay. It took me a few days to get her trust back in me after doing that. So time will tell.