Cat Stalking My Cat....nees Advice

Thewalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently got a cat. It's previous owners needed 'him' rehomed due to their children being allergic. She told me when the originaly got him they thought she was a girl but she took him to the vet and they informed her it was a boy and apparently had him neutured and that he didnt go anywhere other than the garden. He has been here around 8 weeks for the first 2 and a half weeks he just sat indoors showed no sign of wanting to go out. Then that changed he has been going out for 6 weeks now. His behaviour has changed he is being very needy with us and sleeping alot. Also he is eating us out of house and home, his stomach is also getting slightly bigger. This behaviour has just started to calm a bit and I've been looking everywhere to find out y he is like this and every answer I could find is only about girl cats and that 'he's pregnant. To make it worse the last few days a big fluffy cat has been coming in the garden and just waiting at the end some times all day it will wait out there even when ours isn't. We can't get close enough to determine if it's girl or boy it runs off but as soon as we walk away it comes back. Then later on through the day when our kids go to bed it waits for ours to be laying on the floor and it will gradually sneak up on 'him' and when it's really close it waits for ours to turn away and will try and get him by the neck. It's not aggressive but I'm really confused as I read that males will do this till the female is ready. Really need advice. As for the vet we booked an appointment 2 weeks after he went of the garden but the had a late emergency and he has an appointment in 2 weeks but I need advice now. Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thewalls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to mention when my cat does go up to this random cat it makes a meowing noise and sort of slaps it lol

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I would consider keeping your cat inside until the vet visit, if you can. If he is a she and is pregnant, it will be safer for her to be inside. If he actually is a he, the sudden behaviour change could indicate something's not quite right and he'll be safer inside.

How old is your cat? You can likely check yourself to determine if it's a boy or girl. A mature male will clearly have testicles. If your cat is younger, this: https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach...res/cats/determining-gender-(sex)-of-a-kitten is a great site for helping you determine the gender.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, like said above I'd be keeping the kitty 100% in the house and away from other cats until the vet appointment. What you're describing to me sounds very much like heat in females. So your cat, if a girl, is either already pregnant or trying to get herself that way. Even if "she" screams and cries to go out don't let her. I adopted a cat about a month and a half ago that was supposedly "spayed" and two weeks ago she gave birth to a kitten- so yeah, people do lie to get rid of pregnant cats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prior owner took him to a vet, so if they say it is a neutered male it is almost certainly a neutered male. Cats act weird for all sorts of reasons. Cat ARE weird. We have a neighbors cat that comes over all the time to play even though he gets growled at. That the kitty is eating more doesnt mean much, maybe you are feeding him better.