Cat Sprinting Around The House And Meowing Loudly After Eating Wet Food

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve recently been trying to switch him so the majority of his diet is wet food instead of the dry. He hasn’t eaten more than a couple spoonfuls, whether it’s pate or the chunky stuff I’ve tried several brands.

After eating the wet food he burped/looked like he was trying to regurgitate possibly. He bolted and wouldnt even let me get close. He sprints down the hall, if I’m going upstairs he tears up the stairs super fast. Then he also meows very loudly up to 5 times in a row usually in other rooms than the one I’m sitting. This happens a couple times and now probably 10-15 minutes later he’s acting normal he came into my room and was eating the dry food, now he’s drinking from his fountain.

He had a long playtime this morning so he’s not trying to burn off energy. He’s been to the vet recently, nothing wrong.

I’m thinking about ordering fortiflora to help his stomach but what is going on with him?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my cats meow strangely before they throw up, so I am thinking the wet food did not agree with him. Maybe it is a bad batch of cat food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The specific wet food might not be agreeing with him. Has he vomited after eating? If he is within an hour of eating, it likely is something in the specific food making his stomach upset. My Mom's cat gets antsy and vomits with poultry and instavomits with shrimp. Going from that theory, try changing to a food with a different protein (which is the most common problem item) and see if it still happens.

The other thing could be that he is used to playing after meals and is expecting it. If that is it, then after a week or two of the playing before he should change his behavior to match. You could try tossing a few pieces of kibble after he eats the wet. See if he starts playing/eating them and doesn't do the behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
The specific wet food might not be agreeing with him. Has he vomited after eating? If he is within an hour of eating, it likely is something in the specific food making his stomach upset. My Mom's cat gets antsy and vomits with poultry and instavomits with shrimp. Going from that theory, try changing to a food with a different protein (which is the most common problem item) and see if it still happens.

He’s done it with salmon pate, chicken pate, chicken chunks with sauce, herring chunks with sauce. I’ve never seen him vomit. He’s been having loose stools so probably it is something in the food bothering his stomach. Fortiflora has fixed his loose stools really quickly in the past so I’m gonna order some.

The other thing could be that he is used to playing after meals and is expecting it. If that is it, then after a week or two of the playing before he should change his behavior to match. You could try tossing a few pieces of kibble after he eats the wet. See if he starts playing/eating them and doesn't do the behavior.
He’s been doing this since he first tried the wet food a week ago.

Could it be a hairball?
I thought maybe.. but I’ve never seen an actual hairball come up. still, I’m gonna start brushing twice a day instead of once daily.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it started with the food, I would try a different protein wet food. Probably something limited ingredient just to be safe.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Ruby makes those loud meows before she throws up. Maybe your boy is feeling some sort of discomfort in his stomach, but not enough to make him vomit.

TCS has an article on Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade) which may have some helpful tips.
Thank you for the perfect article! I should’ve searched for that instead of when I asked in the forums how to transition from dry to wet and people said there’s no need to ease into it because it’s transitioning to something healthier and more consistent with their need for animal based protein/hydration. I think I’m gonna hold off for a week on giving him the wet food until I can settle his stomach with Purina Fortiflora sprinkled on his dry food.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad the article was helpful. Good luck with your kitty. Hopefully you'll find the right food combination to agree with him tummy. :catrub:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the dry food already out when he gets his wet food? Maybe he got full on the dry food first and the wet food made him too full? Try putting down the wet food first, then when he finishes his breakfast he can have a little dry food.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the dry food already out when he gets his wet food? Maybe he got full on the dry food first and the wet food made him too full? Try putting down the wet food first, then when he finishes his breakfast he can have a little dry food.
This was first thing in the morning, first meal of the day

humanracer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only give my cat wet food now due to another cat of mine having bladder problems and them not drinking much water. We mix a little bit of water in with the wet food.

To be honest mine does this after he eats the wet food. We did change brands and this current brand (Whiskas) seems to be a bit better than the other. He has always been a vocal cat but he is at his most hyper once he has eaten.

Unless your cat has been physically sick and is refusing food, I would discount the theory that the food has made him. It is probably just one of those unexplained cat behaviours.

Does he use a litter tray? My cat sometimes gets hyper when he needs to go.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try some hairball treats 2 or 3 times a week. My cats have never had a bad reaction to canned food. Of course, there have been many brands that they refused to eat or that they ran away from looking disgusted.