Cat Spraying.

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,
So my 7.5 Month male cat who had never sprayed before suddenly decided to do so on the dustbin while standing in the litter box staring directly in my eyes.
He was neutered on 21st December, So I don't know why he started it now.
Any Idea how to stop this.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be a sign of a urinary problem. Vertical spraying in the litter box sometimes means that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could possibly be territorial spraying, as since he was just neutered in December, there could be some hormones still in his system, as they don't disappear immediately after neutering.

But also be a UTI, which would require antibiotics. So probably a good idea to mention to your vet and get their advice.

Meanwhile, clean the area where he peed with an enzyme cleaner to ensure his urine scent is totally removed, so won't still smell it, and pee there again.

Here's some TCS articles with more info.

Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory – TheCatSite Articles

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, it sounds like he was in the litter box when it happened? It sounds like he would have gotten all the urine in his box if he had crouched/aimed correctly? And, it only happened once?

I might just wait and see if it happens again. To me, it is a good sign that he was in his litter box! You could try modifying his litter box set up in case it happens again--maybe remove the dust bin for now and anything else around the box so it is easy to clean. Not sure if you have multiple boxes, but that's always a good first step with this kind of thing. But, since it just happened once and he was in his box, it might just be a one time thing.

I wouldn't give any credence to his eye contact.

Please let us know if it happens again! Then we can get more info from you and brainstorm.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good point, sunny578 sunny578 , noting that the kitten was in the litter box when it happened. Watch and see if it happens again, Knight's Cat Knight's Cat , and if it does, and is in the litter box again, maybe one with higher sides would solve the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for replying. Yes he was in the litter box. But usually when he goes to pee he sits in a very awkward position since the first day. Sometime it is him with all his 4 paws on to one side of the tray and zero contact with the litter (like in the photograph but all his four legs on tone side.) but that day he was not even trying to sit. Standing on his 4 legs normally with a hunched back and a tail in question mark shape, he shot a long arc of pee right on to the bin.
And I heard from my mom that he did it again yesterday night, even tough I have sprayed the place already.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree! That litter box looks so cool, but he might need something bigger and simpler. I would say even 2-3x the size. It looks like it would be hard for him to go comfortably with all 4 paws in the litter. He might be trying to avoid stepping on any dirty litter (my cat does this) and with more space in the box, that will be easier for him to do without keeping his paws outside. Also wondering if something with shorter sides in the front and maybe taller sides in the back might encourage him to be less creative with his urinating positions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GUYS! Big problem.
First of all thank you for helping me out. Secondly the photo is not of my boy nor his litter box, just a reference.😅 His litter box is slightly bigger than the requirements sent by rubysmama rubysmama .
His frequency of urinating (or spraying) outside the litter box even though he does it every time while standing inside it, is increasing. First he used to do it once a week and now every day just before retiring for the night.
Just to check on him I checked how he did it, and I saw him getting into the normal position to pee and then he started doing it normally.
But the thing was that while peeing he started raising his backside and went into the standing position, all while the waterfall was continuing. It was odd and now I am confused. Is it his instinct to pee or what? and if yes then why only after neutring?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear the problem is continuing. Probably the best thing would be to call your vet and tell them what's happening, and get their advice.

sunny578

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you describe your litter box set-up? Is it a self cleaning box? Is it in the corner or surrounded by other things? How often are you cleaning it? Is it just your regular old simple box, or is it an unorthodox shape? Does he have to step into it? Do you only have one? Only one cat too?

Since he is only urinating like this in his box, my inclination would be to change the box set up to accommodate this position. I would add another box by the box that he is standing in to urinate, and make it very simple--just your average big litter tray with a couple of inches of clumping litter. I'd also probably get some pee pads to protect the areas around the box that he is hitting with urine--you could tape them to the wall or set on the floor. If you've never tried a hooded box, you could offer one of those, or you could experiment with other litter types. I would, however, make sure to keep the litter box that you have during this experimental phase. You definitely don't want to make the problem worse by introducing too much change to his toileting experience!

Has he always attempted to urinate in awkward positions, even before this new standing thing started?

Keep us posted!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat isn't doing anything wrong. He wants to use the litterbox, like a good cat should, but the litter is making him uncomfortable. It could be the litter is too deep or too shallow or the texture of the litter hurts his paws. Get another litterbox and try a different type of litter. Keep experimenting until you find what he likes. Keep notes so you can track your progress.

Also, get him to the vet to be checked for urinary tract or other medical problems. Your cat may be having pain or discomfort when he tries to go.