Cat Spray Vs. Urine Odor

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my delightful little darling cats either urinated on or sprayed in their cat bed. The bed was in a trashbag with a washable pee pad on top of it and a blanket on top of that. I took the bedding, put it in a container in my bath tub so it could soak in enzyme cleaner for several hours. Later that night I rinsed the bedding and wrung it out the best I could. It didn't seem to smell and I thought the odor was gone. I left it in the tub to dry until I had time to do more with it.

On Monday morning, I went to hang up the still wet bedding and noticed it reeked of what smells like cat spray from an intact male cat (my cats have all been spayed/neutered). The smell is coming out of my bathroom and almost smells skunky.

Does it sound like a cat went into my tub and sprayed the bedding at some point before I hung it up Monday morning? If it was urine, it probably wouldn't smell like that, would it? And if I didn't smell it Sunday evening, then it does suggest it's fresh, right?

I think it's time to buy nanny cams. I need to know who needs to go to the vet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, I tried several cat beds with Krista. They all became litter boxes at some point. I think a box with a soft inside was destined for that fate. She slept on chairs, desks, counters, my bed, or the cat trees. So she wasn't left without a place to sleep when I decided that cat beds weren't for her. One of your cats may be the same way. I wouldn't leave a bed on the floor. Maybe you can convince him/her that it is not a litter box alternative by taking it up off the floor and putting it on a chair, table, in a window sill, or some other location that doesn't say, "yeah let's use this to pee inside instead."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spray IS urine :).

If urine sits for too long, the odor intensifies. Or maybe one of them re-peed on it while it was in the tub.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spray IS urine :).

I have to admit, I did not realize that. I think it's because when I was a teenager, I had a neutered male who at one point peed and sprayed on various objects and the odor was different. The peed on objects just smelled like pee, the sprayed objects had a more pungent odor. The vet never could figure out why he did that. We assumed it was a behavioral and jealousy issue. That was back before anyone had the internet, so we had to rely on the few books we could find in the library, and I always found reading to be such a chore.

In this particular case, I think either my female cat peed in the bed because she was scared of her brother, or the brother did it to mark his territory. It completely dumbfounds me when two sibling cats who grew up together end up having issues with each other. I can understand human siblings not getting along, but it's just weird when sibling animals don't get along. There's nothing to be jealous or envious of. :confused2: Of course, this brother has an enormous stick up is rear, always has.

I ordered a nanny cam Monday night so hopefully I can figure out what's going on and who needs to see the vet. I may have to order a few more, but it's a good start. It may not even be either of those two.