Cat Spazzz Attack Out Of Nowhere -help!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is what R roxessence is trying to post :-

"My concern & why I joined this site, is for Melo right now. Last night, out of nowhere, he suddenly started tearing around the house like his butt was on fire & hysterically biting at his back end (hindquarters - mostly on the right). He was totally panic-driven, climbing to the very tops of cupboards only to leap crazily down & run, hell-bent on finding Some way to escape his body!! This has continued all night to the point where he hasn't eaten this morning (which is Unheard-of!) & he finally collapses into exhaustion for 10 minutes at a time only to jump up & start all over. They are inside only cats & his fur is Really thick so I doubt it's a critter chewing on him. I've heard of a nervous condition that affects cats sometimes & wondered if anyone on here could give me direction with this.
I'd hate to take him to the vet unless it's totally recommended as I imagine he'd tear the carrier apart with his fit & I know the wait would make things So much worse.
Sorry so long but Help?!"

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what you said this isn't likely to get better on it's own. It's time to take him to the vet. Today. He needs something to make it where he can sleep. If your carrier is plastic it's unlikely that he can tear it apart. If it's cardboard, go get a plastic carrier from the pet store, don't order one, go get one, and take him to the vet today. Put a lot of towels in with him.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a visit to the vet is totally, emphatically recommended just as soon as you can get him there If you can’t get him into his regular vet immediately, then see if you have a local emergency vet. He has something that is causing him pain and that is why he is running.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take him to the vet today, right now. Not in an hour, now! Wrapped in a towel if need be but a plastic carrier should be fine. If he is that frantic in a carrier you might try padding the bar/grill metal door part by draping a towel over the entrance or something (try it out before you put him in it.) Honestly if he was my cat I would have taken him in the morning to my vet as a walk in emergency .... calling them to tell them that I was on my way and why he needed to see a Dr. that day. If it is after hours where you are I would take him to an emergency vet.

Cats get dehydrated and can die! So your saying that he is so frantic he is not eating means it is an emergency! I hope they find out what is wrong, treat him and that he is pain/irritation free soon!

I hope he gets well soon.
:sickcat::vibes::catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxessence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is what R roxessence is trying to post :-

"My concern & why I joined this site, is for Melo right now. Last night, out of nowhere, he suddenly started tearing around the house like his butt was on fire & hysterically biting at his back end (hindquarters - mostly on the right). He was totally panic-driven, climbing to the very tops of cupboards only to leap crazily down & run, hell-bent on finding Some way to escape his body!! This has continued all night to the point where he hasn't eaten this morning (which is Unheard-of!) & he finally collapses into exhaustion for 10 minutes at a time only to jump up & start all over. They are inside only cats & his fur is Really thick so I doubt it's a critter chewing on him. I've heard of a nervous condition that affects cats sometimes & wondered if anyone on here could give me direction with this.
I'd hate to take him to the vet unless it's totally recommended as I imagine he'd tear the carrier apart with his fit & I know the wait would make things So much worse.
Sorry so long but Help?!"
Thanks for your help, tabbytom! I was beyond frustrated when I tried to post that!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxessence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input, peoples!
As luck would have it, of course, hubs had multiple Dr appts today so there was no way I could've gotten Melo to any vet even if I'd gotten an appointment. The only emergency vet in our area is over an hour away & Melo doesn't handle traveling Any distance, even on a good day!
That being said, he finally settled & ate a hearty breakfast before we left this morning then promptly curled into a ball & Slept! Upon coming home this afternoon, he greeted us at the door with his usual chirps of happiness & has been particularly cuddly since then! I'm not entirely sure what on earth was going on with him all night (& praying it doesn't happen again!) but I did find someone on here who recommended calming oils for cats. animalEO it's called. Looking into that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a regular vet who wants appointments you can always go and cat in hand, explain the emergency. Most will 'find' an appointment for you near the time you arrive. If they don't, you need another vet.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be VERY VERY careful with any oils, just because they are safe for "animals" doesn't mean they are safe for cats, many essential oils are highly toxic for them.