Cat spaying surgery risk

Betuncay

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Jan 20, 2021
Messages
34
Purraise
50
Hi all,

My cat is 1.5 years old Scottish Fold female and unspayed. She has mild HCM and FCov history. HCM is stable now with medications. Here vets have different opinions in terms of the risks of spaying surgeries. Some recommended hormone injections because of the risks associated with anesthesia however i know hormone meds are also dangerous. I am very confused about what to do. On top of that i realized a clear watery discharge coming from her vagina and very scared of pyometra might be starting and i have to decide ASAP. She is losing weight everyday because of the heat… What are the major risks of spaying surgery? What would you recommend?

I am very panicked right now.

Thanks..
 

Attachments

fionasmom

Moderator
Staff Member
Moderator
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
7,157
Purraise
9,835
Location
Los Angeles
I am sorry that you are facing such a complicated situation with your cat. Are the hormone injections in place of spaying? I may not be understanding all of this. Or were you told that hormone injections make anesthesia safer? To me, the discharge is of great concern, along with her weight loss.

Normally spaying is a very safe procedure and preferable to allowing the cat to face heats and potential pregnancies. I work only with strays and ferals and have had to spay and release cats under less then optimal conditions and no one had any complications.

If your vet is not helping you to make a decision, they should be much more involved in doing so. Try asking the following questions.

What is the risk due to the HCM?
Do they see her other health conditions as a risk?
What are the chances that she has pyometra?
What is the overall surgery risk?
What would you (the vet) do if she were your cat?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3

Betuncay

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Jan 20, 2021
Messages
34
Purraise
50
basically the cardiologist i went told me to get hormone injections all her life instead of spaying.. which is against my regular vet. However spaying has its own risks; first one is anesthesia(stress on heart), second one is the complications due to her corona carrier status.. I really don’t know what to do. Vet told me if the discharge is white or yellow i should go immediately. A clear discharge didn’t alarm her but im very concerned probably gonna get second opinions.
 

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Feb 20, 2019
Messages
1,729
Purraise
2,111
Location
Istanbul, Turkey
basically the cardiologist i went told me to get hormone injections all her life instead of spaying
I remember you and your kitty. And that I recommended Vetelite clinic in Suadiye, to see Çağlar Kondu. I will again recommend her for the surgery. instagram.com/vet.minecaglarkondu

I don't know which cardiologist you saw but if you need one again, literally every vet in Istanbul recommends Dr. Hadi Alihosseini at Terapist Veteriner Kliniği in Etiler. instagram.com/terapist_veteriner_poliklinigi
 
Top