Cat spay- lump to the side of incision

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4 days ago I got my 6 month old kitten Penelope spayed. I paid extra for the laser surgery spay and she received a cold laser therapy treatment after surgery. I have kept her in my room mostly for the last 4 days and she has been acting normal. I tried to keep her from jumping but ultimately she has jumped up on my bed etc and doesn’t act like it’s bothered her. She has been playful, eating normal, using her litter box. Today I checked her incision and it looks healthy! No redness or swelling at the incision site, it’s just starting to scan as she has no external stiches. However I did notice a lump that was just to the right of her incision (at least that’s what it looked like when I had her on her back 2 feet. Maybe is was just offset because of the way she was positioned? I have tried to get a picture but ultimately I think it stressed her out and that area obviously is still sore and healing so I was not able to get a good picture. Any time my other kitten Ivy comes near her belly she will swat at her which is understandable.

I have heard that some lumps are normal.. but I guess I’m wondering if there is something I should be looking for in case this is something to be worried about?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with stephanietx stephanietx , a lump is quite normal after a spay but if you can post a photo that would be good.
thank you both!! I finally was able to kind of get a pic of it! She doesn’t let me get a good look at it for long lol I’m hearing scar tissue or a seroma. As long as it’s just something that can heal on its own I’m not too worried. I was going to give it some time to see if it goes away. I did hear that a hernia is pretty rare.. She seems to be acting as normal with some minor hesitation just from being sore still..

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've almost always seen/felt a lump beside the incision. My vet explained it is from swelling on the inside as there is trauma there. You might send that picture to the vet and see what they say. As long as she is eating/drinking/using the litter box and is not hiding, that is a pretty good indicator everything is OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've almost always seen/felt a lump beside the incision. My vet explained it is from swelling on the inside as there is trauma there. You might send that picture to the vet and see what they say. As long as she is eating/drinking/using the litter box and is not hiding, that is a pretty good indicator everything is OK.
update here!! I took Penelope to the vet today to get her lump checked (for a piece of mind) and no hernia!! Just some swelling from being too active. Got her some anti inflammatory meds and she’s home resting. If she didn’t bust her stitches or get a hernia with how active she’s been, especially since she was hyperactive post surgery…then I think we are in the clear!!