Cat spay issues

Chr15a113n

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 5 days ago now my kitten, Holly was spayed by the vet I’ve been bringing my cats to. She has stayed in the cone aside from me taking it off when she eats sometimes to when I notice her struggling in the litter box. She however was figuring out ways to still jump and be her normal, pre-spay self though. Yesterday I was getting ready for work and wanted to just get a look at her incision site and it didn’t look great. I sent an email to an emergency vet an hour away and they told me I should bring her in. They said she might have an infection so they flushed her wound with saline and gave her IV antibiotics. They also sent me home with one to give her twice a day for 10 days as well.

Last night I got home after spending 5 hours at the emergency vet and set my bedroom up as cat friendly as possible. I bought a litter pan that’s easier for her to use because climbing into the Litter Robot seemed too hard with the cone on.
I’m now getting ready for work again and I’ve given her the antibiotic and checked on her spay site post them flushing it and treating her and it honestly isn’t pretty still. I’m wondering if it’s just irritated because of them messing with it yesterday because she hasn’t gotten into anything or jumped at all since. I’m attaching a before visit and today image.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks much better than yesterday and it usually takes about 48 hours for antibiotics to start working. You cant do any more than keeping an eye on it, try to make sure she is not licking it and causing irritation to the wound. Watch for swelling redness or seeping. Keep us updated please.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like that spreading red area at all, but if they gave her antibiotics it should be taken care of. Maybe mark around the red area to see if it spreads any more, and if it does, call the vet. It should be shrinking not growing.

Ok, looking at the picture closely, some of it might be betadine (disinfectant). The actual incision does look better. But still keep an eye on it to make sure the red area isn't spreading.

First_Kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just wondering if you were given antibiotics as a precaution? My cat was recently spayed and it has become infected, I was only given pain relief for her for three days and no antibiotics.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, just wondering if you were given antibiotics as a precaution? My cat was recently spayed and it has become infected, I was only given pain relief for her for three days and no antibiotics.
Antibiotics are not usually given as a precaution for routine spays :). Overuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistance, so they'll only give them if she gets an infection. But the vast majority of cats won't get an infection.

If you think her incision is infected, have you talked to the vet about it?