Cat Spay Infected?

annanana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two 6 mo. old kittens were spayed seven days ago. One of them has the incision site completely healed on the outside. However one of the kittens was able to remove the cone (while I was out for 30 minutes) and probably had it licked, it made a hole on the incision, so I had her sent to the vet four days ago to have it closed. The assistant cleaned it thoroughly and opened the whole incision which resulted in the vet restitching it (the vet first told me that it only needed to be lasered because it was just a small hole, but the assistant made it bigger). This time, the vet used removable sutures (and dissolving sutures inside) and she's scheduled to have them removed on Saturday (three days from now).

I check the sutures multiple times per day, however, today, the dried blood seems to have turned black. The area isn't hot/warm, doesn't seem to be swelling (just a little lump probably because of the dissolving sutures beneath the surface).
She has her cone 24/7 and she sleeps in the crate when I'm asleep so the other cat won't bother her. She doesn't seem lethargic. She's eating, drinking, and using the litter box just fine. She's on her 7th day of antibiotics because the vet told me to give it to her on the very first day that I brought them from the spay. I am planning to take her to the vet tomorrow because I don't think it's healing normally (but there seems to be a typhoon in my area so I'm not sure if they will be open tomorrow).

I have attached photos of the spay hole from the first incision and the progress after the restitching. Could this be an allergic reaction to the sutures? Should I be worried a little more? Is this just scabbing? Is there probably something more concerning?

-Day 0 was while she was on the operating table.
-Day 2 - my cat has a big belly, I think it kinda stretched the incision when she sat and tried to scratch the ear that she can't reach
-On the evening of Day 2, it did not have fluids anymore, just a little moist on the side but with what I thought was dried blood.
-Day 4 was taken this afternoon.

P.s. I can't send the pics to the vet because she did not give me her e-mail address (she doesn't even have an appointment system), her phone can't be reached, I only go to the clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think if this were me, i might take the photos to the clinic, to double check that day 2 didn't cause issues.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, do send the pictures to the vet. But it looks like a normal scab to me, no infection-type redness :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annanana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses. We went to the vet but it's closed. :( We would have to wait until tomorrow.