Cat spay incision

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got spayed a week ago and the wound is a little open , I called the vet and said it's okay and she is licking it a lot and I am worried , she is fine eat and drink but the incision makes me anxious

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi S Seunie9 ...I think that it would be best if you could bring your cat back in to your Vet for a re-check.
Re-checks should be free...but they might charge for any antibiotics, or creams.

The wound looks like it has either white or yellowish pus on it.
It might just be from the reaction to the stitches...but it's still better to have a Vet look at it,...flush it out...and give antibiotics, or cream...if necessary.
(Ask them, also,...if it is okay to clean the area with some saline solution...to prevent any future infection.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi S Seunie9 ...I think that it would be best if you could bring your cat back in to your Vet for a re-check.
Re-checks should be free.

The wound looks like it has either white or yellowish pus on it.
It might just be from the reaction to the stitches...but it's still better to have a Vet look at it,...flush it out...and give antibiotics, or cream...if necessary.
(Ask them, also,...if it is okay to clean the area with some saline solution...to prevent any future infection.)
I called the vet many times cz I was really worried but she said it is fine and she told me to use a spray ' it's to prevent post_surgery infections ' so I have been using it for 2 days

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet many times cz I was really worried but she said it is fine and she told me to use a spray ' it's to prevent post_surgery infections ' so I have been using it for 2 days
Will your Vet accept an Email or text photo?
Since I'm not sure why there is so much yellowish/white looking discharge.

Could the spray you are using...be causing any of that white/yellowish looking coating?
Does the spray list ingredients on the bottle...or was it just given to you by the Vet? (eg...she mixed up the solution for you.)

How old is your cat?

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will your Vet accept an Email or text photo?
Since I'm not sure why there is so much yellowish/white looking discharge.

Could the spray you are using...be causing any of that white/yellowish looking coating?
Does the spray list ingredients on the bottle...or was it just given to you by the Vet?(eg...she mixed up the solution for you.)

How old is your cat?
Yes I sent her the incision pic every two days and I told her abt the discharge and she said it's all bcz of she licks it a lot and it will heal
I got the spray from pharmacy
My cat is 4 years old

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she is licking at it, see if you can pick up an e-collar, either from the vets or a a pet store.

It sort of looks like some of the stitching has come undone at some point but healed over regardless. Perhaps take her to another vet for a second opinion. I know my vet would never refuse to at least look at an incision site if the owner was concerned.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is licking at it, see if you can pick up an e-collar, either from the vets or a a pet store.

It sort of looks like some of the stitching has come undone at some point but healed over regardless. Perhaps take her to another vet for a second opinion. I know my vet would never refuse to at least look at an incision site if the owner was concerned.
tbh I had a bad experience with vets , I lost my cat last month bcz of unprofessional vet , so when my current vet is good but it's too far from my home , so I am really confused and I am afraid to find another one who will hurt my cat

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's understandable, and I am so sorry for your loss. Perhaps if you insist on booking an appointment with your current vet, as I don't believe they can stop you from coming in or refuse to see you altogether. Maybe explain to her that you would like some extra reassurance, and perhaps some antibiotics just to be safe. Would love an update!

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's understandable, and I am so sorry for your loss. Perhaps if you insist on booking an appointment with your current vet, as I don't believe they can stop you from coming in or refuse to see you altogether. Maybe explain to her that you would like some extra reassurance, and perhaps some antibiotics just to be safe. Would love an update!
I will do this if the incision stayed like this , I hope it will heal by itself cz I really don't want yo put her under anaesthesia or anything again

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think (not a vet, cannot say for certain) that another anesthetic is unlikely. The biggest concern, IMO, is infection at this stage.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it will heal by itself cz I really don't want yo put her under anaesthesia or anything again
I don't think they would need to use anesthesia at all.
The Vet would just flush the incision area with saline solution.

Also, check out some DIY cat cones...online: 7 DIY Cat Cones: How to Make Your Own at Home (With Pictures) - Excited Cats
The paper plate one is the easiest to try.
Cut a hole in a paper plate, tape it together. Instant cone.

What you should be seeing...is no discharge...except some clear,...no yellow or white...and that the incision is scabbing over, then falling off...then scabbing over again.
But you don't want it to scab over...with an infection underneath.

I think the stitches are causing the skin reaction, and then causing the incision site...to be very itchy for your cat.
It does look infected to me, (but I'm not a vet)

Sending you and your cat...all the luck.
Please update, us, when you can.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to my vet and he said it's fine and prescribed 'gentamicin sulfate' , but there's still yellowish discharge but I hope it will heal soon
I am still worried a little bcz of the swelling and discharge but I am following with my vet

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to my vet and he said it's fine and prescribed 'gentamicin sulfate' , but there's still yellowish discharge but I hope it will heal soon
I am still worried a little bcz of the swelling and discharge but I am following with my vet
This is how it looks rn , 14 days post-op
Thanks so much for the update, S Seunie9 ....and the photo attached.
I think it looks a lot better than your first photo.

Also,...great that you are following up with your Vet.
It looks like what the Vet prescribed is helping.
Hopefully, by next week...you will be seeing even better results.