Cat Spay Incision Question (with photo)

Ekait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, anxious kitty mom here. I just got my girl Luna spayed yesterday and I'm not sure if her incision is healing normally given it seems a bit too red to me. She will not keep the cone on and actually seemed to be aggravating the incision site trying to get the cone off. I have ordered a onesie from Amazon as all of the local pet stores are sold out, but it hasn't arrived yet. Just looking for your thoughts on the incision. Does it look okay for day 2? Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Ekait Ekait ...your photo is slightly blurry...but from what I do see...the spay incision site looks fine.
(I'm not a vet, or vet tech, though,...so if you're still worried, tomorrow, ..see if your Vet accepts Email or Text photos.
They would be best to ask.)

I think the Vet may have closed the top skin layer...using surgical glue...(since I don't really see any exposed stitches.)
They usually use three layers of stitches...the abdominal wall layer...then the connective tissue layer, or subcutaneous fat layer...and finally the skin layer.

Just keep an eye on the usual signs they tell you to: yellow or white discharge, larger openings of the incision site, with angry looking redness or hot to the touch around the site.

What will happen as days go by, ..is that you will notice a scab forming on the incision site...then it will fall off and look very messy, and red, some slight blood...and the scab will reform again. (I cannot remember how long it takes to actually see a drying up of the incision site...but that will happen too, as your cat's body heals.)
I would suggest just taking daily photos for yourself...and seeing the progression...of the healing.

How old is your cat, Luna?
and can we see a photo of her from the front, too? (oops, I just noticed...she is the adorable one in your avatar. :))

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks like internal sutures were used. and it looks like it may be a little tight (tho a photo is hard to judge by). They could be a tad snug and exacerbated by her activity and licking. Watch for any swelling, redness (like an infection) and discharge. If none of those things happen you’re (she) probably in the clear. if you have any concerns, call your vet, they should be ok with you just running down and having a quick tech check on her. There is always a good old goodwill or the like to pick up a onesie. A little tailoring on the back end and she’s good!

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Ekait Ekait ...your photo is slightly blurry...but from what I do see...the spay incision site looks fine.
(I'm not a vet, or vet tech, though,...so if you're still worried, tomorrow, ..see if your Vet accepts Email or Text photos.
They would be best to ask.)

I think the Vet may have closed the top skin layer...using surgical glue...(since I don't really see any exposed stitches.)
They usually use three layers of stitches...the abdominal wall layer...then the connective tissue layer, or subcutaneous fat layer...and finally the skin layer.

Just keep an eye on the usual signs they tell you to: yellow or white discharge, larger openings of the incision site, with angry looking redness or hot to the touch around the site.

What will happen as days go by, ..is that you will notice a scab forming on the incision site...then it will fall off and look very messy, and red, some slight blood...and the scab will reform again. (I cannot remember how long it takes to actually see a drying up of the incision site...but that will happen too, as your cat's body heals.)
I would suggest just taking daily photos for yourself...and seeing the progression...of the healing.

How old is your cat, Luna?
and can we see a photo of her from the front, too? (oops, I just noticed...she is the adorable one in your avatar. :))
Daily photos is a great idea. Also sending a clear pic to the vet. 👍🏽👍🏽

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ekait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the quick replies! I will definitely be taking daily photos to monitor the progress. I think my vet accepts email so I'll also send a picture their way tomorrow if I notice any concerning changes. Thanks again :)