Cat spay aftercare advice

LaurenS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I just got my cats spayed today and I'm finding it very hard to not keep them from jumping. One of my cats wants to go to her usual hiding spot which is up pretty high, we've tried to block off as much as possible 😭. Is it even possible to not get your cat to jump at all after being spayed/neutered? We kept them in their carriers for a few hours after they got home, and let them out when the instructions said to. So I'd like to refrain from putting them back in there as they absolutely hated it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ❤❤ (p.s. My boyfriend and I currently live in a studio apartment down in a basement. We will be moving into a house in 2 weeks, so we originally wanted to wait til then to get them spayed but I felt as if moving into a new home and having cats spray everywhere isn't a good idea. In our studio there are so many places they can jump and go it just worries me. 😣)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Thirteen was spayed you would never have known it. That night she was jumping on the bed and running around to beat the band. But when Bella Roma was spayed it was a totally different experience. It was clear she was in pain and she couldn't possibly have jumped onto the bed. Her sides were even caved in and--yikes--it was obvious she was very uncomfortable. So much so that I went to one of my condo neighbors who is a physician and he gave her some more buprenorphine on top of the "long acting" shot the clinic had given her. I will always be indebted to him for that because he did it with no questions asked and he certainly didn't have to. It was after 3:00 a.m.!

Bottom line is if your cat doesn't appear to be in pain I honestly wouldn't worry too much. Just limit the jumping and rambunctiousness to the best of your ability.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten Malibu was spayed just over a month ago. The minute she came home, she was running, jumping and climbing in our 2 storey house and I was stressing out so much.

She healed completely fine. Try and keep her from climbing cat trees. I tried to stop Malibu from climbing up and down the stairs but there was no way. Just try your best to curb the rambunctiousness. In active kitties, they may develop a small fluid lump (seroma) that goes down over time uusualy on its own.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When our kitten was spayed, we confined her to a small guest room for a few days. Removed anything too high, and only gave her a few toys that we knew weren't going to wind her up to much. This way, she wasn't able to run around the house and get into too much trouble. We also had a large play pen we'd use for her when we wanted to have her be even more calmed down - for nap time etc. This worked good for a couple of days and gave her body time to get a head start healing. By the 3rd day though she'd had enough of it and we let her out and just kept and eye on her as much as possible.