cat (sometimes) unable to lift forepaw to clean face

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have some feral cats in our neighborhood, two of which come around for food (still won't let me touch them; TNR is being looked into). One of them often shows up with a brown nose, dirty with food (we know another neighbor leaves out a big cat food can every day).

I've watched her clean herself no problem at times, from kitty yoga to washing her face and ears. Sometimes she seems to struggle to reach her face with her forepaws, but eventually gets there. Today, she also had a dirty nose and I watched her completely fail to lift both of her forelimbs higher than her shoulders. She tried each side a couple times, then gave up. Other than this, she appears healthy, walking fine, etc.

Could it be swelling in the shoulders? Pain? Sometimes she shows up with a clean nose so I imagine she isn't always unable to clean herself. But I'll say she definitely more often has a dirty nose, lately.

At what point do I get involved if otherwise she's healthy? (note: she may already be tipped, but I'm also not entirely sure and would be okay with getting someone to help TNR her and her sister who comes around too).

Thanks!

1590500759509.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea what would cause that. It seems odd it is in both shoulders, and could therefore be related to some arthritis. However, I would think you would notice her limping. Arthritis can affect cats like it does people - sometimes the weather will cause arthritic flare ups. Have you noticed any correlation between the weather and when she has difficulty using her paws to clean her face?

How long has she been around? Has she always had this problem? It is possible that it is some sort of birth defect. Just keep an eye on her for other issues, and hope you can TNR her soon! The vet will check her out beforehand, and you can tell them about what you have seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be surprised it's arthritis given that she's about 2 years old. I can't say she's always had this issue but it seems to not be sudden, but perhaps getting worse. I'm going to monitor her for a while longer.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for checking! her nose is clean lately, and I watched her groom. she's still somewhat awkward and stuff about it but she's getting the job done.

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: her nose has been consistently clean these last couple weeks and I've seen her readily clean herself all over including her face and back. So yeah I think she had some inflammation or something earlier that thankfully cleared up!