Cat Sometimes Breathing Rapidly, Noisy And Mouth Agape

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my 2 and a half years old kitty suddenly started breathing weird since this morning. It's really hot out here so I thought she had heat stroke but she wouldn't stay in the fan/ac, instead she'd hide inside drawers and closet. At first she was meowing (she's usually really quiet) it's a short meow but almost constant. She'd curl up beside me or rub her nose on me. Btw her nose is wet, like watery wet. Then she started panting (sometimes there and then). Her breathing is a little noisy and she's purring quite a bit. Sometimes she'd have her mouth open like she's trying to breathe from her mouth.

I'm not sure what's wrong with her. On a side note, yesterday she was fine, and even today in the morning she ate just fine. She could be dehydrated as I haven't seen her drinking since this morning (8-10 hours in).

Any advice?

Edit: her meowing is rough or dry idk how to describe it.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several things that can cause this and unfortunately a vet visit is in order to determine the cause.
It could be that she has an upper respiratory infection, I say this based on the wet nose and sometimes having to breath with her mouth open (possible congestion). Which means you need the vet to get the proper medications to fight it.
Or it could also be something very serious going on with her heart. I had a kitty with congestive heart failure and he would breath hard and with an open mouth.

The fact that she is hiding and open mouth breaths (even just sometimes) is very concerning and says that she is in distress. Hopefully it's just a URI but I would not take any chances. Also keep in mind that purring is not always a sign of "I'm happy" cats also purr to try and comfort themselves when they are ill or in pain.
Panting is also a sign of pain or distress.

I would bring kitty into the vet as soon as you can, the faster you get treatment started the better she'll be.
I hope it's nothing too serious, good luck with your kitty.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to get her to drink. She could be overheated and show all those signs. She could be seeking closets because they are dark and cooler. a fan doesn't have to be on her, just have it in the room for circulation.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like congestion, and when it's hot out I take a washcloth and wet it with cold water and lay it across my cat's back.