Cat snoring / having issues sleeping with me being home.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has kind of had a rough time of it with me home for Covid. I try not to move around but my moving at all disturbs him and I have to piddle. Since I brought him home I have never been at home for more than a week and now I have been for 6 months. He struggles with sleep. And seems unwilling to sleep at night and only comfortable sleeping from 7 AM to 6 PM.

But now he seems to be snoring all the time. I suspect it could be the place he is sleeping.Usually he sleeps on my couch but to try to give him more privacy I made a little cat home on the floor and gave him a bed. But I suspect the bed possibly puts him into a position that makes him snore. But I have heard him snoring more frequently on the couch. I am afraid I gave my cat sleep apnea being home.

Should I worry about "snoring"?

How can we both coexist here.. my workplace tells me I am not going back until at least January.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't seem like he doesn't like you being home? Some cats do snore. Before you weren't home during his sleepy time very often so maybe you just didn't notice his snoring? Cats do wake easily but they fall asleep easily too. They don't mind.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I'm viewing TCS, my little buddy Darko is snoring away :sleep: My guess is they're just like humans and some snore and some don't.

As far as co-existing, did your cat like you before? If so, then I doubt there is a problem. I think most cats, once they are used to you, would rather be around "their people" than around other cats. Did he NEVER sleep at night, or is this a new thing? If his behavior has changed, then he may have a health issue and a Vet visit, or a least a discussion with a Vet, might be necessary. If his behavior is as it was prior to Covid, then I wouldn't worry about getting up to go to the bathroom, making coffee, whatever you need to do. If he wants privacy, he can go to another room, can't he?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And yes, some cats just snore. And it can start at any time, even if they didn't before. I do suggest a vet check, though. He may be congested. If he's clear, then he's just a snorer. I am sitting here with my girl snoring like a small buzz saw on my sofa.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His behavior has changed but I think it is due to me interrupting his sleep. When I would go to work before he would sleep uninterrupted from 7 AM to 6 PM and when I would return home he would be bright eyed and bushy tailed until about 10 pm, then he would retire to my guest bedroom for another round of sleep while I was sleeping. Now... he sprints to the couch at 7 AM to try to get some sleep before I start disturbing him and then he probably wakes up at 2, and 4 for brief little breaks to eat. He then seems to wake up around 10 pm and proceed to bother me starting at 4 am. It is like i have "turned him around" on his sleep schedule and am not sure how to get it back on track. He seems bound and determined to sleep during the day but, I have to work. I even have a 3 floor home so I do my work on the second floor and he is on the first, but even that seems to disturb him.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feedng him on a different schedule.? You should probably stick to the exact same feeding schedule as before Covid. As a matter of fact, everything for him schedule wise should remain as it was. The time you cleaned his litter box, fed him, played with him, etc. The only difference would be that before you walked out the door to leave for work, and now you walk upstairs, right?

How do you know he slept from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. while you were gone? Cats DO cat nap for several hours during the day (and night) but that is just the way they are. Most cats sleep 14 - 16 hours a day, but they are only deep sleeping 25% of that time, and even then, they may still be alert to sounds of "prey". Are you sure you are disturbng him? Maybe when he senses your presence, he "wakes up" because he's wanting some attention . If only we could read their little minds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you feedng him on a different schedule.? You should probably stick to the exact same feeding schedule as before Covid. As a matter of fact, everything for him schedule wise should remain as it was.
One of the problems is that I have to feed him when he wants his food, otherwise he interferes with my work. The only thing I can do to get him to go to sleep is to feed him.

I have decided that I have to start going to work at least one day per week. I am just going to sneak in and deal with the consequences. Last night he woke me up at 2 AM and would not go to sleep until I gave him food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have had him to theVet and he is healthy, then perhaps you might want to post something in our Behavior forum to see if someone over there can help you with what may be a behavioral issue. You should not have to leave your own home so your cat can sleep soundly.