Cat Sneezing.

Vhernandez96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I have three cats, one of which keeps sneezing.
My cat Sawyer has been sneezing a few times a day for a little while now. I feel kind of bad that I haven't taken him to the vet yet but he honestly has no other symptoms. He gets little eye boogers, but truthfully he has always gotten eye boogers. I would say its a tad more frequent than my other 2 cats (but that has been consistent as well) . This led me to hope that it was allergies or something. I try not to read a lot of stuff on the internet cuz I tend to convince myself that something horrible could be up. Tonight he sneezed a few times in a row and it really triggered me to start feeling worried.

I keep going back and forth because he is one of three cats at my house that all sleep in the same bed, eat from the same bowls and drink from the same fountain that ever sneezes. It makes me think that what is going on is probably not something contagious...but at the same time I wonder if it could be way more than I think.

It's also kind of interesting because when he was a kitten ( like 8 weeks) he and his brother had horrible upper respiratory infections, they were on meds for what felt like forever. (So I do know what that looks like ). He is now 8 months old and has started sneezing out of nowhere a few weeks back.

I guess im just looking for some advice or even a piece of mind? ( I can be a super neurotic cat owner, they are my babies and I just want the best for them)

More info that may or may not be helpful... I have three cats and two dogs( my parents) and we also foster, so there are dogs coming and going fairly frequently ( we never foster other cats) . Sawyer is on the bigger side, (my cats are Siberian mixes, so they tend to be bigger structured) and swayer definitely has a bigger structure, and fairly dense....

Thank you for taking the time out of your day and reading this, i'm sorry its so long winded.

Desti

Desti & Fantasia
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I read some info. re: sneezing. And, perhaps it's transient which the article said, "will last a few weeks." But, if your kitty has other symptoms she/he could use the support from a Vet.
One of my kitties had something serious and a Vet asked me how my kitty felt? At the time I didn't know what she had.

Medical stuff is certainly expensive so it makes it challenging to make a decision as to when one's kitty needs to be seen. At least that's been my experience. I want the best for my kitties it's true, like we all do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If Sawyer is doing OK otherwise, this could be environmentally related allergies. Fostering dogs might be a trigger; just like people, he may be allergic to certain types of dog hair, especially those that shed more than others. Also, weather can affect allergic reactions - dry air due to colder weather, dust particles in the air due to the furnace running - things like that.

Think back to when the sneezing picked up pace and see if you can tie it to any changes inside the house. If Sawyer goes outdoors at all, you will have to consider that aspect as well.

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, My cat just started sneezing last Wednesday. Took him to the vet even though he had no other symptoms. They cannot find anything wrong with him. He is still sneezing today. I find it weird how it started so suddenly and nothing was changed in the house with cleaners or I have no air diffusers. I am at a loss. They said we could give me a shot of steriods but I am kind of against this.. I am at a loss.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Crazygirl Crazygirl - As I mentioned to the OP of this thread, perhaps related to weather changes? Changes in your household that you are taking for granted (e.g.; need a new air filter on the furnace/AC, recent - or lack of - dusting/vacuuming, new perfume/lotions/soaps, etc)? Does he go outdoors? Did the vet test the mucous from his nasal cavity - assuming he is actually sneezing anything out? Also, how old is he?

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we moved our cats from Los Angeles to Washington DC two years ago, one of them developed spring allergies. It is quite common for humans who live in DC to have spring allergies (darn Cherry Blossoms), myself included and so I suppose cats can too. Our Tuxie would sneeze as you describe, would itch her eyes were her paws (one even got really swollen). We took her to the vet and they diagnosed her with likely allergies, and after springtime they cleared up. As with human allergies even with skin testing sometimes you cannot know for sure what is causing the allergy but if it's just annoying not making her sick then I think she will be okay. I would take her to the vet to make sure though.

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is licking his chops a little tonight and sneezing. He seems a little under the weather. We are taking him to the vet in a little while but what are everyone’s thoughts on steroids, antibiotics, etc?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless he has an infection, the antibiotics are useless. You could give him steroids to help, but in the end you still need to find out what it causing this. Ask your vet for a plan on how you can attack the potential problems so the matter can resolved in a more methodical fashion.