Cat Sneezing

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, unfortunately Caine seems to be having an issue since about 3 days ago. He's just been sneezing really often, and that's the only symptom I can see. At first I thought maybe he inhaled something that he was sniffing, so I've just been keeping an eye on him. Now he's still sneezing, so I'm starting to get concerned.

He has absolutely no other symptoms as far as I can tell. His breathing seems fine, no discharge, he has good energy and appetite, everything seems to be normal. He's just sneezing very often. I'd say once every 10-30 minutes he has a little sneeze attack with a few sneezes. I can't tell exactly how often it is because I've been at work a lot.

What would you recommend I check/do? At this point I'm not planning on taking him to the vet yet, since he doesn't seem to be that distressed and he doesn't have any other concerning symptoms. But my main concern is his health, so if anyone thinks this is serious then I will be glad to take any actions necessary.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't act like he's sick, he probably doesn't need to see a vet. It could be pollen or dander or house dust that making him sneeze. Lily does that from time to time, too. Sometimes it's after I've run the vacuum or opened the house for the first time in a long time. It's never lasted more than a few days.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is just sneezes and everything else is completely normal it could be a mild kitty cold. As long as Caine's eating, drinking and litter box habits are completely normal then I would just keep an eye on him. If the sneezing seems like it is getting worse or you notice yellowish or greenish eye discharge then I would call your vet and let them know what is going on. You could try steam treatments at home. Run the shower as hot as possible to steam up your bathroom. Sit in the steamy bathroom with Caine for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day. If this is the start of the beginning of a mild kitty cold this should help break up the congestion. I am not a vet but this is something I have used for my cats.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think cold is the most likely option but just to suggest something else, Hima sneezes when she smells something bad. Like usually after the flea/dewormer spot-on treatment because she smells it from her neck she sneezes several times a day for the next 48-72 hours.

Also sometimes when she has dental pain even if she continues to eat. Basically anything that annoys her face a smell, pain on the head, etc she sneezes at least couple times.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, unfortunately Caine seems to be having an issue since about 3 days ago. He's just been sneezing really often, and that's the only symptom I can see. At first I thought maybe he inhaled something that he was sniffing, so I've just been keeping an eye on him. Now he's still sneezing, so I'm starting to get concerned.

He has absolutely no other symptoms as far as I can tell. His breathing seems fine, no discharge, he has good energy and appetite, everything seems to be normal. He's just sneezing very often. I'd say once every 10-30 minutes he has a little sneeze attack with a few sneezes. I can't tell exactly how often it is because I've been at work a lot.

What would you recommend I check/do? At this point I'm not planning on taking him to the vet yet, since he doesn't seem to be that distressed and he doesn't have any other concerning symptoms. But my main concern is his health, so if anyone thinks this is serious then I will be glad to take any actions necessary.
Mi think my cat has herpes, she sneezes like that.
Search the web for treatment there isn’t any. Keep calm environment sane routine no stress.
Vet recommended Claritin I can’t find any 5mg tablets for here weight, they said give 2.5mg .
You can have her him tested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I woke up today (day 4 of sneezing) and found he has two new symptoms. I'm worried for him. On one of his eyes, the third eyelid is partially closed and he is squinting a little bit. He is also a little lethargic and is not doing any running like he normally would around morning feeding time. He still happily ate his canned food like usual, but I'm worried about how his condition will progress as I have to go to work for 8 hours. I will be able to check responses here on my lunch break, but there's not enough time to go home and check on him. If you think this is serious enough to warrant it, I can request to go home early at lunch time based on your responses. I want him to get better soon.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yep, my cat has the same symptoms. I spoke with her today. We have an appointment next week. She said stop ALL treatments I am doing for her until her appointment. If you do go and check on him, it won't change the progression of what is happening. Call get a Saturday appointment at the vet if you can. Do not try to clean up the symptoms, the vet needs to see the clear presentation. Let me know what happens.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat needed dental cleaning, I dropped her off early in the morning. Though, I just remembered that when my cat did have a cold an appointment had to made incase she was contageous.

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat needed dental cleaning, I dropped her off early in the morning. Though, I just remembered that when my cat did have a cold an appointment had to made incase she was contageous.
Thank you. I woke up 45m before work today, no time to take him. I have to leave in a couple minutes. In a bowl I left him a can of extra gravy cat food that I mixed extra water into. Hopefully he won't get dehydrated. I will check everyone's responses again on my break. if I have time I'll try to call the vet during my break and get an opinion.

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called in to the vet and had them check if all his vaccinations are completed and up to date and they are, but the person on the phone was rude and didn’t seem to care so I didn’t get her honest opinion on whether or not she thinks he needs to see a vet at this point. She said I can walk in without an appointment even if he’s contagious because they can put him in a separate room, so I would be able to take him first thing tomorrow if I need to. I’ll update again if there’s anything new when I go home and see him in 3.5 hours.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me now like he's got an upper respiratory infection - a cold in other words. When you get home this evening, try the steam treatment suggested by catlover73 catlover73 . Mingo had a cold like that, and the steam treatment helped a lot. He loved it, too, which surprised me no end, what with the shower going full blast. I checked the Internet about kitty colds, and it said a cold lasted 7-21 days. I decided to wait it out, along with daily steam treatments. Mingo ate fine, but curled up on a blanket on the couch and didn't move all day. It went on a long time, and I was very worried, but on the 21st day, he got up and was well. It seemed like a miracle.