Cat Sneezing Fits

ams827

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All!

I've posted in the past about my 9(ish) year old tortie named Otter. I rescued her about two years ago as an adult, so I'm not sure exactly how old she is. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has ever experienced something similar with their cats. Otter has recently (probably within the last month) started having sneezing fits (5 or so sneezes consecutively). Otter also has lost her meow twice in the last few months. It's almost like she gets a raspy meow- like laryngitis in humans. She has been prescribed steroids for this and it quickly clears up. However, she is still having sneezing fits and I don't know what it could be. She has no other symptoms and eats normally and plays with her little brother regularly (an orange tabby, about six months old). They have both been tested for FELV/FIV and are negative.

Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be food allergies? Environmental? Can cats be allergic to other cats?

Thanks for all your insight!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Based on one of your past posts, I am wondering if this is environmental related - either from things like Furballsmom Furballsmom has suggested, or perhaps weather induced.

I don't know where you are located, but you had a similar - but, not identical - issue with Otter in the February time line, yes? Is the weather changing where you are and could that be affecting Otter?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I deal with this daily and have for the past 12 years as my Hannah has feline herpes and she has some severe air allergies as well. Hannah gets an antihistamine daily. That helps with her sneezing. We give 1/2 of a plain Claritin (Loratadine) once a day. I smash it up in her wet food and she takes it well.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Allergy was the first thing that came to my mind. More likely an airborne allergy. Can you think of anything that changed around the time this started? Something new in the house, a plant/tree outside bloomed maybe? If it's dust mite there are different rules for that...

There isn't much research about allergy in cats, maybe that's why some vets don't even consider it but it is an option. (Even some human doctors also don't think of allergies if they don't suffer from allergy themselves. I had an ophthalmologist like that.)