cat sneezes alot

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i adopted a kitten 6 weeks ago, now about 7 months old. ever since i got her she sneezes every now and then. sometimes 10x in 1 minute. some days she doesnt sneeze at all. she had her first appt 4 weeks ago. i didnt bring it up cause i didnt think much of it and vet said all was well. i have another kitten that adopted along with this kitten, and he hardly sneezes. today he did though and thought " oh great, you got your brother sick..." should i take the sneezer kitty to the vet? its gross always being sneezed on lol🤧 i also know cats can get respiratory infections, but this isnt anything new. maybe allergies? theres no other symptoms

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do react to things in the air. You say no other symptoms but the other kitty has started sneezing? Are they investigating something together? Cats are curious and may be going into a cabinet or other place containing cleaning fluids or scented items? Maybe staying in a window where allergens are coming in? If it continues I would definitely give the vet a call. Better to be sure that nothing else is bothering them. Fever may be hard to detect unless you take their temperature. I think it’s great that you adopted these babies! Any chance of a couple of photos? We love seeing kitties! Congratulations on adding fur babies to your home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
other kitty only sneezed once today, they do hang out in the window often and i have a plug in air freshener and a automatic freshener. the sneezer (orange kitty) has been sneezing ever since i got her, not everyday though. but the days she does then she can sneeze like crazy. sometimes sounds like she got the sniffles/runny nose

Attachments

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
still dont know if i should take her. yesterday there was a moment that sounded like runny nose. later she sneezed 8x in a row. but still no other symptoms

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is she doing something where she repeatedly gets something up her nose? If it were permanently stuck there, the sneezing would not stop ( been there, done that) but if it is a repeated inhalation of something irritating it could be continually repeating.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have no idea whats causing it. can happen as soon she wakes up, after eating, her just laying on the couch, middle of playing.

milliesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I know that kittens can get upper respiratory infections a lot and that they can take quite a while to clear up. If it is persisting like this, there could be the possibility that your kitten has herpesvirus. You could try administering L-lysine (I like the maple flavored gel on Amazon). Herpesvirus in cats is contagious and I believe that often if not always, cats can become life-time carriers for it. That may be why your other cat starting also sneezing. I would assume that herpesvirus would be worse in kittens since they are still so young. My mom's cat has herpesvirus and occasionally gets flare-ups from it.

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Millie's Mom. My kitten had/has feline herpes. Mostly she gets sneezy, but as a kitten when it was a bit worse, she got runny, crusty eyes occassionally as well. I just sprinkled L-lysine from a capsule onto her food and that seems to clear things up.

My cat also has mild seasonal allergies, so she can sometimes get a bit sneezy in late spring. I use L-lysine then as well--I don't know if it helps her, but it makes me feel like I am doing something.

I had another cat whose Herpes was dormant (apparently most cats carry it...?...). It didn't become apparent until she had to have a dental extraction and the stress from that brought it on and gave her very crusty eyes. The vet did one course of some kind of eye drops and it was gone!

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do you test for herpes? Blood? I'm gonna try benadryl and see if its allergies. If not then vet wants to see her

milliesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you test for herpes? Blood? I'm gonna try benadryl and see if its allergies. If not then vet wants to see her
I think they commonly get a swab through the nose or mouth area. My cat was tested for a variety of upper respiratory diseases (including herpes) and that's how my vet did it. It had to be sent to another lab though, so it cost about $210.

londonbridgge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I know that kittens can get upper respiratory infections a lot and that they can take quite a while to clear up. If it is persisting like this, there could be the possibility that your kitten has herpesvirus. You could try administering L-lysine (I like the maple flavored gel on Amazon). Herpesvirus in cats is contagious and I believe that often if not always, cats can become life-time carriers for it. That may be why your other cat starting also sneezing. I would assume that herpesvirus would be worse in kittens since they are still so young. My mom's cat has herpesvirus and occasionally gets flare-ups from it.
Is it deadly at all?? If I have 2 cats already, and I adopted two kittens and they have herpes. Is it safe with them all being together (obviously after the flare up is gone) but

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis – TheCatSite Articles

What is the prognosis for a cat diagnosed with feline viral rhinotracheitis?
There is no cure for herpesvirus infections. The therapeutic goal is to reduce the frequency and severity of recurrences. Most cats respond well to medical management of the condition and lead normal lives. Minimizing the chance of infection, ensuring excellent nutrition by feeding a veterinary-recommended diet, reducing stressful situations, and following an appropriate vaccination schedule are your cat's best defense against this disease. From VCAhospitals.com