cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sadly dont have the money at the moment to get my own place
im now in my third place house sharing with my cat and kitten

The litter box is in my room and yes i got permission from the landlord

But in the last place, the housemates complained of the smell

Even though daily, i empty out the litter and it goes into a bin in the street not the house
the litter box two days is scrubbed and cleaned

i regularly mop the floor with detergant or a strong fresh cleaner

and i keep the window open

yet they still complain it smells

what should i do? i spend a lot of time and money cleaning but wherever i live with other people they say the cat smells

thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't have to dump the litter box so often, daily/twice daily scooping should be enough and just add litter as it is needed. Make sure you get clumping litter, it is less smelly, and there are some cheaper ones out there. if you get clumping it should be cheaper in the long run because you don't dump it near as much. I like Fresh Step myself, it seems to keep the odors away better. Try some store brands too. I have had to change litter MANY times because they just couldn't keep the odor down, and I know if you try some others you would find some are much better than others. Make sure your roommates like cats too, some people hate cats and would complain no matter what. Good luck and bless you for having those sweet babies....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't have to dump the litter box so often, daily/twice daily scooping should be enough and just add litter as it is needed. Make sure you get clumping litter, it is less smelly, and there are some cheaper ones out there. if you get clumping it should be cheaper in the long run because you don't dump it near as much. I like Fresh Step myself, it seems to keep the odors away better. Try some store brands too. I have had to change litter MANY times because they just couldn't keep the odor down, and I know if you try some others you would find some are much better than others. Make sure your roommates like cats too, some people hate cats and would complain no matter what. Good luck and bless you for having those sweet babies....
thank you
im lucky that in my place the landlord is on my side and hes told me if people have a problem they can find another place :)
also can i just ask quickly i want to go back onto cat san........ i hear good reviews about it
but then ill see the odd bad review saying its not the same as it used to be etc
what do you think
thanks

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe get a blacklight, just to be sure you aren't missing accidents. Otherwise, I agree that clumping cat litter should mostly solve the problem. Fresh Step and Scoop Away are the leading brands in the US it seems, and both are totally fine.

Once in a while, if a cat doesn't cover it and your ventillation isn't all that, cat liter is going to smell. Its something that one can't entirely avoid. But with you being so diligent, it seems likely it must be accidents or a litter issue. Or maybe you have a cat that just doesn't cover up the waste?

Or maybe your neighbors are smelling something else. Are YOU smelling the amonia type smell of cat pee when you enter the room with the box?? Its something that you couldn't be confused about -- its either there or it isnt.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What does your cat eat? It's known that a dry food only diet, particularly a cheap brand full of junk, makes cat poop super stinky :barfgreen: Raw fed cats often have nearly odorless poop. Urine has an odor no matter what the diet is.

Are the people complaining specifically about the litter box smell or the cat's body odor or the cat's food?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry,I can't tell you about any other cat site,I go to this one exclusively. It has helpful, knowledgable people on here who truly love cats and want to help others. I have been a member since 2012. They never belittle you or are hostile. Please check us out!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear by Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal Multi-Cat. I have a very sensitive nose and currently have 12 cats in my home. (Nine are mine.) I agree with the others, you should not be dumping the litter box that often. Twice a day scooping should be fine. I also agree with A ArtNJ that a black light can help you find out if your cat and kitten are going outside of the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind replies
I will answer everyones questions
The cat eats wet food
She isnt spayed but she just gave birth and once the kittens are weaned she will be
Im now using catsan and bought a new litter box
hopefully should absorb odors, it is non clumping
how often would you guys physicaly throw out the litter from the box, all of it, and then deep clean and put more in
im not refering to scooping - of course id do that once or twice a day

and finally im in the UK how can i get a black light are they the same as laser pens?

thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get blacklight flashlights too. I got mine on Amazon but noticed Walmart had them too. Can you order online? Just beware that the light shows ALL organic spills, not just urine. You would be amazed how many splashes are around your stove and toilet, it's gross. Non-clumping litter is not removed by scooping so the urine stays in the box at all times. It gets and stays stinky fast. If you change anything, get clumping litter. wait until after the kittens are gone though, small kittens eat litter sometimes, and the clumping type can ball up in their stomachs and hurt them.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blacklights are not laser pens. They shine ultraviolet light that highlights pee (or any biological residue as mentioned above). They are *very* cheap and widely bought by pet owners so you'll have many choices if you search on amazon.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our UK members can suggest good litters to use. V verna davies mightyboosh mightyboosh

Look through theses threads:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use pine pellets, I have 2 cats that use it and have never noticed a smell. I scoop everytime it is used and fully empty and put fresh in about once every two weeks. I get mine from pets at home if there is a store near you.

AyaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sadly dont have the money at the moment to get my own place
im now in my third place house sharing with my cat and kitten

The litter box is in my room and yes i got permission from the landlord

But in the last place, the housemates complained of the smell

Even though daily, i empty out the litter and it goes into a bin in the street not the house
the litter box two days is scrubbed and cleaned

i regularly mop the floor with detergant or a strong fresh cleaner

and i keep the window open

yet they still complain it smells

what should i do? i spend a lot of time and money cleaning but wherever i live with other people they say the cat smells

thanks

Dumping litter everyday is overkill. Get a good clumping litter. I use Tidy Cat Multi-Cat and it works great! I live in a small one bedroom apartment and the smell doesn't fume the place.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I swear by Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal Multi-Cat. I have a very sensitive nose and currently have 12 cats in my home. (Nine are mine.) I agree with the others, you should not be dumping the litter box that often. Twice a day scooping should be fine. I also agree with A ArtNJ that a black light can help you find out if your cat and kitten are going outside of the box.
I like this litter too but it so expensive.