Cat Sleepy and Not Eating After Neuter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rescued Brax, a five year old feral cat from the street yesterday and he was neutered the same day. He is FIV+. His surgery was around 1:30-2 p.m. yesterday, and while he has used the litter pan once since he's been home, he has been in his new bed very sleepy and not eating since. I heard this is pretty normal within the first 24 hrs. What if 2 p.m. rolls around today and he still isn't eating? At what point should I take him to the emergency vet? The veterinary office that did the surgery is closed today. Worried cat mom here.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the lingering effect of anesthesia. Your cat will be lethargic and not eating much for 24 hours or so. I would just monitor and make sure food is offered and the cat is using the litter box. Your cat may eat something later today. If your cat normally eats dry food, offer canned food because that's more appealing. If the cat doesn't eat anything for more than 48 hours, call the vet. Fatty liver disease can occur pretty quickly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, an older cat takes longer to recover. Keep some kibble out near him, and offer wet food a couple of times. Maybe get some lickable treats. I would give it another day. It is very encouraging he used the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Brax has used the litter pan several times this weekend, but would not eat anything. I was going to take him to ER vet today, but at hour 44, he finally had some wet food. He still looks pretty unhappy. What do you think, just part of the recovery process? Should I just check in with his vet tomorrow?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call and ask. But i bet he had a reaction to the anesthesia and is taking longer. I had one cat that didnt eat for two days after vaccinations. As long as ge us getting better, he should continue to do so.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took him to the ER vet and nothing was wrong. The ER vet gave him an antiinflammatory and antibiotic, as well as fluids. He still isn't eating.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him some lickable treats to tempt him. My cats never refuse Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. As long as he takes a few licks a couple of times a day it will keep him going. Make sure you inform any vet if he ever needs more surgery about this. Is he taking a few licks of anything? Is there anything he especially loves?

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Nothing is actually wrong with him causing him not to eat except stress and pain from the neuter. I will say that when he was outside, very frequently when I served him wet food he would just lick all the gravy and eat the meat. So, these lickable treats sound promising if they are just packets of gravy. I will pick up today.

Brax is an FIV+ cat that has lived his whole 5 yr life on the street with no human interaction until now. What if he never feels comfortable? I don't want to put him back outside. His brother Drexl is a doll- it took him no time at all to accept the role of house cat.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brax just needs time, patience and love.
There might be something here, in the two articles or the many great posts that members added :)
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
Thank you. I will really try my best with him. It's heartbreaking to see him so unwell. The vet expected that he might die last night- he thought something serious was going on such as kidney failure. I didn't think I would get to bring him home. But luckily this was not the case- his bloodwork only showed high glucose, which in this case indicates stress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might consider a purr toy or even a heartbeat toy, and try some different Cat Music, there's spotify, and also Relax My Cat, and MusicForCats .com.

Additionally lickimats can help relax a cat.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get him some lickable treats to tempt him. My cats never refuse Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. As long as he takes a few licks a couple of times a day it will keep him going. Make sure you inform any vet if he ever needs more surgery about this. Is he taking a few licks of anything? Is there anything he especially loves?
You really helped out with the Delectable Lickable stew flavor recommendation. Brax has been eating those since 2 p.m. today. I've given him 2 entire packets, which he completely ate, and I just poured a little over some regular Friskies wet food so he can start getting some nutrition. He seems more alert and aware. He actually got up out of bed into attack mode because I tried to take a plate away which he was apparently not done with yet. And this cat has just been laying lethargically in bed since his surgery Friday. He's gathering some strength! Thank you so much!!!!!!